5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys! Aside from posting about my progress on here, I decided to start an Instagram account completely dedicated to my build. I always follow back other mini-enthusiasts!

Username: @IBuildSmallThings

Much Love!

Chris

One day I'll figure out how to use Instagram. We're currently out of in-house 14-year-olds to keep us current on technology.

No "social networkers" at our house.  This forum is as social as I get...

Yep, I'm on instagram. Try redcottageminiatures. ?? If that works? Who knows? I haven't quite figured everything out yet.

1 person likes this

I saw your bathroom subway tiles.  Absolutely beautiful.  Great job.  I am a newbie builder and new to blogging as well.  I created a website for my first dollhouse build and just post pictures and notes for myself and family.   It's not as informative with links like a lot of the other dollhouse bloggers have on their pages.  I guess it just depends on how techinical you want your website to be.  But good luck.  When you get your blog up and going please post.  I would enjoy following your progress.  Good Luck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Do You Believe in Siding After a Build?
      By third_hand
      Hi everyone! I've had a long quiet period on here, but I've been steadily working away and going to shows/shops (I was at Good Sam in San Jose and was fortunate to visit Dollhouses, Trains, and More in Novato, CA for their closing sale). I will, finally, post a batch of haul and progress photos in the first week of November, when I get settled back into my home in Eugene. I really am terrible with a camera and it bugs everyone I know! In the meantime, I have a question: 
      Has anyone ever tried adding siding after their build's exterior was complete? Still being a novice, when I finished my first build (the Orchid; the interior is still a work-in-progress) I stepped back and thought 'I think I should have done siding.' Especially with the shingles on, the level of detail on the exterior just varies too much; it's been irritating me for a couple of months now. I'm a bit of a stickler it seems (though I didn't know it at the time)! My window/door casings, dormers, gingerbread, and my custom porch/railings are all already in place. I realize it may be very difficult, but the question is: is it even possible? If so, do you have any tips on how to do this?
      Any and all possible mini wisdom is welcome!  
      P.S. I have the opportunity to snag a very affordable Laurel kit secondhand so I'm trying to decide where I should just start the next building with siding and call it 'lesson learned' or go back and add to the Orchid (and stash the Laurel until after the New Year, space is a very important consideration here). P.S. P.S.: I'm not a Cher fan, but I took a page out of Elizabeth's book (Studio E miniatures) since I'm always charmed by her ability to make musical jokes in her posts/titles!
    • Hurstwood Cottage Kitbash
      By worldofcrazies
      Hi,
      I've introduced myself in the newcomers forum.
      I received my Hurstwood Cottage kit from Bromley yesterday and I've already started on it.
      Here's an album of me unpacking it: https//imgur.com/a/1ITiW6m

This is an intro post basically. This is my first dollhouse build so I thought I'd go for a small one and my plan for this also includes doing three different types of exterior finish; brick, panelling and render.

I'm going to turn this into a nice modern home.
    • Acquired 2 Magnolia Dollhouse Kits
      By hdatsopoulos
      Hello Everyone! I recently acquired not 1, but 2, Magnolia Dollhouse kits from Corona Concepts. My parents found the boxes tucked in the back of a closet when they moved into a new apartment. When they pulled the boxes out and realized what they were, I got really excited, because I love building dollhouses, and the Magnolia was one that I always toyed with buying. It was like Christmas in July! However, it looks like I’m missing pieces, that I will either need to build myself or reorder. I already know that I’m missing 24 of the 32 window sashes that I need. Let the building challenge begin! 
    • Dura-Craft Newberg Help
      By Stacy Nicole
      Hello,
      I stumbled upon a Newberg at a local thrift shop for $3 the other day & obviously couldn't pass bringing it home. It was spray painted pink, had glitter glue adorning the exterior window casings & the roof was a lovely sponge painted gold & purple -- OOF. Anyhow, I've repainted the exterior to mimic local Victorian home I'm in love with, but wanted to reach out for some suggestions to replace the missing trimmings for the arched window frames. Reframing the square frames was easy enough, I just used some bass wood from the craft shop, but for the curved frames I'm at a standstill. Would you suggest cardstock or mat board? I supposed  I could cut them all from wood, but it would be pricey & I'd likely ruin quite a few in the process. 

I'd also love some suggestions to add back the lovely gingerbread work to the window panes. I was thinking just adding the designs to some clear plastic with a paint pen...I've attached the house as it stands currently. 

• Greetings and Salutations!
      By WBrownIV
      Hello everyone!
          My name is Bill Brown and I hail from Arnold, Mo. (just south of St. Louis). I am new to the dollhouse experience but not ownership. Please let me explain.
         Back around 1984 I was looking for a cool present for my younger sister. One night I was out with some friends and someone asked to stop at Michael's craft store.
      While said member was looking for their item, I started wandering aimlessly around the store. I happened to stumble across the dollhouse aisle . "Wow these are cool!" I thought to myself!
      As I was walking along admiring the box art of the various kits, I came across the Glencroft. "How cool is that!" I thought to myself. I quickly decided that this kit would be the coolest gift I could bestow upon my sis. I quickly grabbed it (dang it's not exactly light!") and headed for the register. As I made it to the front of the store I came across the rest of my party at the checkout lane. "What are you doing with that?" one exclaimed. I told them that this house kit was going to be the perfect present! I also told them that I would assemble it for her after her birthday and she could enjoy decorating it. "Good luck with that" they said.
          As I had hoped my sister LOVED her Glencroft! I told her I would build it for her and she could decorate it to her hearts' content.
         You may have guessed what happened next. With the promise of getting started "any day now", days became weeks, months, years. This kit came with me when I moved out of my parents home to my own place. Then when I got married and purchased our first home it moved with us. Some years later after my unfortunate divorce it was still with me. Up until the present, coming along on my second journey into marriage and home ownership. All these years I've looked at that box and said to myself "I really need to get this going".
         A few months ago I was diagnosed with a health issue involving my heart. Last week I underwent a successful procedure to remedy the issue. Your really start looking at things differently when you have a medical scare like this. One of those thoughts included that birthday present and promise I made to my sister those many years ago. 
         So that, in a nutshell, is why I'm here. I was an avid model builder in my younger days and always loved to assembly things. This has carried over into my career as a mechanic and my current job of rebuilding transmissions for urban transit buses. I have, however  never assembled a dollhouse before. Google directed me here to the forums and while looking around I saw a lot of folks sharing their passion and expertise in transforming a box of wood into a thing of beauty! I see many have built the Glencroft so I felt this community would be a good one to join and learn from!
          My plans for my build are to try to build it "period correct" for when the Tudor's became common place. I want to stucco interior as well as exterior, wood flooring correct for the period, and installing illumination that would not look out of place. If anyone has any suggestions to guide me on my journey I would appreciate it!
         As for now I will cease my ramblings and just say "hello"!
      Bill Brown