How low did you go for minis?

Luanne

Today in the name of minis, I dumpster dive at work to retrieve some water bottles.  

It was the recycling bin in the auditorium, no one was there. I definitely provided the curiosity for the security guard if he was monitoring the security camera.

I wanted the plastic rings from the empty bottles  to make a light similar to this 

http://tj-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/05/DIY_pendant_light.jpg

I felt a slight shame but I know only you guys would understand. 

• Like 1

No dumpster diving here (mostly because I would never be able to get out of the dumpster), but I have been known to wander around at social gatherings saying "If you're done with that (whatever), I can just take that for you."  That has definitely cut down my invitation to social gatherings...

I also had everyone at the DFW USO saving paper towel rolls for me so I could glue them together and put my moldings in them.  I think I ended up with about 400 cardboard tubes.  I still have them because my hubby's promise to make something more sturdy from PVC pipe has not panned out.  The TSA folks thought I was crazy!

It always feels a little clandestine as I put the empty little jelly containers, wrapped in a napkin, in my purse at a restaurant. I guess I'm waiting for someone to ask me to empty my bag for a search.

I'm in this club too. All throughout this summer, during our 6 week hospital ordeal, I scavenged all manner of discarded tidbits that rode home in my totebag and were added to my mini stash. I was always worried someone would look in my bag and call security or something terrible like that. It was simply too irresistible with so many fabulous possibilities for future minis being tossed away. (I did not, however, take anything that had chemicals, toxins, or body fluids on it. My daughter made me promise that when she observed what I was up to)

• Like 3

Jo- Go out there! I don't make an extra trips to find things, but sometimes I find things on the road when we walk the doggie. 

Selkie- I hope you are doing well.    I agree my medicine cabinet is a treasure. My bakery chimney bit is from  my niece diabetes 's medicine. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54971771@N04/16754112237/in/album-72157651556792366/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amyole said:

It always feels a little clandestine as I put the empty little jelly containers, wrapped in a napkin, in my purse at a restaurant. I guess I'm waiting for someone to ask me to empty my bag for a search.

It's not clandestine; you have to wrap the used containers in napkins to keep the residual jelly/ butter/ syrup from yucking up your purse or pockets.

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

I'm in this club too. All throughout this summer, during our 6 week hospital ordeal, I scavenged all manner of discarded tidbits that rode home in my totebag and were added to my mini stash. I was always worried someone would look in my bag and call security or something terrible like that. It was simply too irresistible with so many fabulous possibilities for future minis being tossed away. (I did not, however, take anything that had chemicals, toxins, or body fluids on it. My daughter made me promise that when she observed what I was up to)

I freak out the staff whenever I have to have a procedure done in hospital because I ask for the IV tubing thy used for me; with clear drying glue bottoms the sections make great glasses.

1 hour ago, Luanne said:

Jo- Go out there! I don't make an extra trips to find things, but sometimes I find things on the road when we walk the doggie. 

Selkie- I hope you are doing well.    I agree my medicine cabinet is a treasure. My bakery chimney bit is from  my niece diabetes 's medicine. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54971771@N04/16754112237/in/album-72157651556792366/

When I was a school nurse one of my health support aides was diabetic, and she gave me a couple of her empty insulin containers to use as propane tanks for my travel trailer:

The hinge on the awning works

Norma Jeane and I thought some small rocks would be perfect in the landscaping for the Adams old-time general store. We armed Lloyd with an empty cottage cheese container and aimed him toward a local church that used red lava rock as mulch. It was just what we needed. :D 

When I first started doing serious minis, I used to go to the same restaurant for Sunday breakfast.  I told the waitress about my minis and asked her to save me sone of the cream containers to make lampshades... Big mistake!!! The following Sunday the waitress came to the table with a very LARGE trash bag full of empty creamers! There must have been at least 500 or more.  I politely thanked her and saved five when I got home... Needless to say, I didn't mention anything else to the waitress that I needed.  I learn fast!

• Like 3

I feel ya-

this past year I went on an official Artist Dumpster Dive that was sponsored by the Post-Landfill Action Committee at a local university. I didn't find any mini stuff BUT I found alot of other cool stuff that made it worth it.

I also have a predilection for picking stuff off the side of the road, and I have found some mini stuff doing that. Most of the time it's discarded toys (like barbie stuff) that I re-paint.

I've also been known to take styrofoam packing pieces from my places of work as well as boxes and cardboard bits.

18 hours ago, Selkie said:

I've always had a big fear of hospitals, but this makes me alot better! Even if something happens to me and I need to be hospitalized, at least I'll have opportunities to scavenge for mini-making supplies!

Artist Dumpster Dive!  That sounds amazing!

yesterday I took little square cheese cake containers at a Chinese place when visiting my son, he didn't even blink, and he's 24.  Even handed me his friends, after wrapping it in a napkin.  His friend made a face, and he waved his hand like I'll explain later man.

came home and as I was unloading my bag, my husband picked them and added them to the dirty dishes he was loading in dishwaser, no questions.

Its possible I am the crazy relative.  I used to have this great aunt .... 

• Like 1