My New Buddy

Missymew

I spent the day on Sunday making Christmas miniatures.

I spread out over the kitchen table as the sun was shining and it was bright and cheerful in the kitchen.

For the first hour or so, my cat Missymew lay on the table with me. But, then she wanted down (she prefers to be lifted rather than jump) and went into the spare bedroom to sleep.

A few minutes later Ginger (don't know what his real name is - he's somebody else's cat - I don't know who he belongs to - but he's been coming around for about 7/8 years now. I neutered him and had him vaccinated and microchipped about 6 years ago - thought he was a stray - but then he started gaining weight). Anyway, Ginger (what I call him anyway) comes over most days and comes in the cat door, plays with our cats toy, has a snack out of their food bowl, and then heads off.

Sunday, was the first day that he actually wanted to be near me for a long period of time. He usually likes to be just left on his own. I'm wondering if he's realized that Dudley is no longer here.

Anyway, here's photos of Ginger who hopped up onto the kitchen table and just laid and purred and watched me work with my miniatures for about an hour. He's really cute.

-Susanne

Hi Missymew,

I have been enjoying some pictures in your gallery, and I got some good ideas from your Beacon Hill.

I also enjoyed your post about your kitty friends helping with your projects. You certainly have a good buddy and companion. With people, we never know how much a small act of kindness touches another person's life. Some animals seem to sense things. This kitty "Ginger" chose you as his people friend.

I'm sure he enjoys you as much as you enjoy him. You made a difference in his life, as he has in yours.

Only just a cat? I think not!! He's your friend and buddy! Cats are people too!!!!

Enjoy! Nancy (Sarah Handley)

I'm back to the gallery to see more pictures-----------

Aww....Ginger is a lovely cat! Sounds to me like he's yours, though -- all that investment you've already put in him..

Wonder if he just gained weight because he was very young when he showed up, and now is grown? My Tuffy Cat did that...grew from a rather scraggly stray into a lovely full-grown tom (neutered, of course.)

Ginger is very beautiful..Umm I mean Handsome and manly!

Our only outside cat gains weight in the spring and summer. That is because he goes outside and eats wildlife. He thins out in the winter time.

A few minutes later Ginger (don't know what his real name is - he's somebody else's cat - I don't know who he belongs to - but he's been coming around for about 7/8 years now. I neutered him and had him vaccinated and microchipped about 6 years ago - thought he was a stray - but then he started gaining weight). Anyway, Ginger (what I call him anyway) comes over most days and comes in the cat door, plays with our cats toy, has a snack out of their food bowl, and then heads off.

Susanne-

Such a sweet story and you've done such a nice thing for "Ginger" by getting him neutered, vaccinated and microchipped! Have you ever tried to find out who his other "owner" is? Put up flyers locally, he can't live too far away. I'd be soooo curious, I'd want to know so that I could make him a more permanent part of the family. Especially since you've invested all that money in his health! Also, if I was the "real" owner I'd love it if someone came to me to say that my kitty has other friends.

OHHHHH!! I just had a great idea on how to find out if he has other owners!! Get him a collar, like the kind that has the little "pill bottle" ID TUBE that lets you put emergency info in it, or get a cheapy plactic tags and have it engraved with your info. Something like "This kitty comes to my home all the time and I'd love to meet his Owner, please call ###-####. "

Several times over the past years, I've put a collar around Ginger's neck and marked my phone number on it with a bold marker. The next time I'd see him the collar had been removed.

What I'll probably try and do some time, is follow his trail after a fresh snowfall. When I've tried to follow him up to now, he'll be aware that I'm there and keep coming back to greet me. He was always very good with Dudley. Even though Ginger was younger, he'd never ever challenge Dudley. My girls growl and hiss at him (they didn't when Dudley was alive - they must have felt Dudley was in control), but Ginger just ignores them and "wide circles" them.

I'm sure that his owners look after him well. He seems well-nourished, and I notice that they do groom him.

Ray and I have an open door policy at our house (open cat door that is).

-Susanne

He looks like our cat Gizmo Suzanne. So cute. Sometimes I think I must have nieghbor like you because one of our cats will dissapear for a day or so and come home smelling like another house. I don't mind as long as they take care of her.

I once put a note on the collar of a dog that came to visit all the time. I told them how much we enjoyed their dogs visits and left my number so I could find out it's name and who it belonged to. They called and and we found out that Zoe belonged to someone on the neighboring street.

Susanne, what a sweet story! I don't think there's anything better than an animal who comes to you just because he wants too! You must be a very special person (like we didn't know that already) for him to have adopted you as his friend! He obviously has good taste!! :)

He is beautiful! He looks just like a female orange tabby named Abigail that I had several years ago. Your story makes me think of one of my son's books called Six dinner Sid about a cat who belonged to six different families, and none of them knew about each other. I loved that book. That also reminds me of a cat my mother had for about fourteen years. One summer, he dissapeared for over a week and we all feared the worst. Then he just showed up again one day like nothing happened. We suspect that he had adopted a second family and that family went on vacation and boarded him somewhere. Makes you wonder what veteranarians do if they recognize an animal being brought in my more than one family. :thumb:

Well, I have to say that if the collars you put on him were removed by owners and them not calling you is RUDE! What kind of people woud ignore the kindness that someon has bestowed on the furry part of thier family??? Incredible! I am actually offended by them! LOL

Well, I have to say that if the collars you put on him were removed by owners and them not calling you is RUDE! What kind of people woud ignore the kindness that someon has bestowed on the furry part of thier family??? Incredible! I am actually offended by them! LOL

And then again, maybe Ginger is an escape artist!! Or, maybe his owners aren't pleased that I had him neutered. :D

I get a kick out of the reactions of tomcats that I've taken into the vet for neutering. I always bring them home to recover at my house. The next morning the now-neutered tom cats always sit on the floor looking out the living room window. Their look says "now how come I don't feel like cruising for females today?" :woot:

-Susanne

Every responsible pet owner has their pet spayed or neutered, just ask Bob Barker, and he's my hero, so there you go. I'm sure the owners really miss their cat spraying pheromones all over their house. :D

Doogster -

That's why I spay/neuter cats that some around to my home. I watch them for a while, and then take them in and spay neuter. I then keep them in my house (just one cat at a time, I'm not a person who has 50 cats in her house), and then find them a new "forever" home.

I believe that if someone has a pet and doesn't spay or neuter them within a reasonable amount of time, that they're not being a responsible owner.

-Susanne

Catnip!

I havent bought catnip in ages. I should get some and give the cats a happy hour!

I grow cat mint in my back yard in different place. I love seeing my male cat Baby out there rolling in it. I love the smell of the mint, It doesnt grow willy nilly like other mints do, and it has a pretty purple flower.