Have You Ever Had a House Idea Keep You Awake All Night?

madtex1967

This happened to me last night.  I have been trying to think of my next project from my stash.  It finally hit me last night.  Then I couldn't shut down my mind.

I am going to take this kit and create this (or something similar).  After watching jenspec's  progress on her Skilcraft Victorian and I am encouraged to do something similar.  I will add a central tower, porch, and dormers.  I think I will use the coach house as a kitchen addition (bath upstairs in the attic) to give me a dining room and an extra bedroom.

Now to finish the Victoriana (95% done) and pull out this old kit!  But first to sleep! :sleep_1:

skilcraft-1979-victorian-manor-dollhouse-f0695c714d839b29cce80ee0f3cd97d2.jpg

749.jpg

• Like 1

This topic made me smile :) 

Yep, I've stayed awake all night with a brainstorm :D 

I also used to fall asleep wandering through my houses...did this a lot with the White Rose :) 

Love your idea for the kit, great inspiration shot!

All the time. I seem to get a rush of ideas at bedtime, when all of the rest of the brain has quieted, and the creativity can flow. I keep notebooks for each build and a stash of pencils next to my bed, so at least I can write it down or sketch it out. I've been known to get out of bed to go look at or fiddle with things, too.

I think we're all so busy and overstimulated and bombarded with information most of our waking hours, that the mind needs to be in that quiet, calm place for the creativity to come alive.

Exciting plans for that build! I've never seen that kit before, so I'm waiting to see how you finish it.

• Like 1

Love the idea Matt and am so looking forward to seeing your Project take shape.

And yep, sleepless nights for sure! When I first saw the lighthosuie kit as it was released, just after seeing it on the screen it started shouting at me demanding to be built as a shabby chic living quarters with an added on (or rather under) wine cellar. It just wouldn't shut up about its demands. So afcourse I had to comply. I have also learnt that it is so much easier to get back to sleep if I keep a notepad/book next to the bed and jot down the ideas or make a rough sketch (that is when a book light is purr-fect to get that light to see what I am doing). Most often I can get back to sleep after that though.

Hugs

• Like 1

I'll always get these brainstorms when i'm driving! I'll see a cute house and it will just send me into overdrive... 

1 minute ago, Ashlie said:

I'll always get these brainstorms when i'm driving! I'll see a cute house and it will just send me into overdrive... 

As long as it doesn't sent the car into overdrive ... eeeek!

16 minutes ago, KathieB said:

As long as it doesn't sent the car into overdrive ... eeeek!

HAHA no, just my brain! As soon as I get in the house, they all float away! 

I have four or five pinterest boards dedicated to different ideas of houses and room boxes that will most likely never get made :( maybe if i get really really rich. 

• Like 1

Yes!  Often get 'brain chatter' but recently it has been about my treehouse/lamp that I'm creating.  Often I'll lie there wide awake nutting out how I'm going to do something!

I am loving the replies!  I feel much better knowing all of our creative minds do this :crazyeyes:

Looking at finishes for this project I am wondering if these could be used as quoins for the corners of the house?

http://www.dejouxminiatures.com/CUT-STONE-VENEERGRAY-P47763.aspx

What a fun conversation!  It is nice to know there are others out there who have similar experiences to mine.  I finally started doing my own form of meditation to get my brain to shut up!  Now if I wasn't such a night owl, things would be fantastic, but I hate mornings with the fire of a thousand suns.  Which is what I feel is shining on me in the morning, BTW.  I've been known to stay up all night cleaning or putting out Christmas decorations, sometimes even heading out to my shop to work on whatever miniature is in my head at the moment.  Life would be grand if I was retired, but I am not and the late nights make going to work, even on the mid-shift, very difficult. I think my internal clock is set to PM instead of AM!

• Like 2

That is often how I fall asleep... I imagine doing each of the steps of the project in my mind, and soon I'm sleeping like a baby. Until about 5:00am. Then, I start having recruiting broken bathroom dreams. I'm in a public restroom, I can't find a private stall or the door or the toilet is broken and people are staring at me and I cannot pee while they watch. That is my body's way of telling me that I need to get out of bed NOW and relieve my bladder lest I wet the bed...

5 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

That is often how I fall asleep... I imagine doing each of the steps of the project in my mind, and soon I'm sleeping like a baby. Until about 5:00am. Then, I start having recruiting broken bathroom dreams. I'm in a public restroom, I can't find a private stall or the door or the toilet is broken and people are staring at me and I cannot pee while they watch. That is my body's way of telling me that I need to get out of bed NOW and relieve my bladder lest I wet the bed...

I have that same dream, Jodi. I dread the night when, in the dream, I find a functional commode. :oops:

In my dreams, I'm usually in a college/university setting or visiting relatives or one of several old friends, several of whom have passed on, or am in a house I once lived in that has been dream-bashed into similar-but-not-matching. The environment continually morphs as the dream progresses. I tend to dream in spurts of days of weeks and then have no dreams for a like period of time. Most of the time I can recall a shadow of the dream but no details.

The period just before wake-up is when the solution to life's small challenges, real and mini, come to me. I love waking up to an "aha!" moment. I've always thought that advice to sleep on it is quite sound.

• Like 1

Yes absolutely have had visions of new projects keep me up, but mainly due to the excitement of it. While I was planning my first Scratch Build house, my French chateau, I remember visualizing walking thru the not yet built house, but could see everything, the staircase the high ceilings the long view through the house thru double wide doorways, where the windows and fireplaces should be, what fun! The second floor walk around the open staircase. Then set up a foam core model to make sure I had the flow off the staircase correct. The entire house was built around the staircase. It was very exciting!

15 hours ago, KathieB said:

I have that same dream, Jodi. I dread the night when, in the dream, I find a functional commode. :oops:

In my dreams, I'm usually in a college/university setting or visiting relatives or one of several old friends, several of whom have passed on, or am in a house I once lived in that has been dream-bashed into similar-but-not-matching. The environment continually morphs as the dream progresses. I tend to dream in spurts of days of weeks and then have no dreams for a like period of time. Most of the time I can recall a shadow of the dream but no details.

The period just before wake-up is when the solution to life's small challenges, real and mini, come to me. I love waking up to an "aha!" moment. I've always thought that advice to sleep on it is quite sound.

I didn't wake up in time once, many years ago. I was so mortified to have to wake my husband up to tell him I'd wet the bed!!! I got a pass though because I was 32 weeks pregnant with my son, and 8 pounds on my bladder was more than I could muster. :O) I think the trauma of the shame is why I now cannot really find relief in my dreams!

I had a dream about 4-1/2 years ago that was as real as the keyboard I'm typing on now. It changed my life and made me KNOW that I am not alone, that we are connected through something powerful that is way beyond our understanding. In the dream I relived events that lead to saving a woman's life. As I woke we were embracing. I felt more love and acceptance in that moment than I think is possible in this life., As consciousness came, I could feel her arms slipping away. I was pitifully crestfallen to wake up and lose her again. I don't know who she is or why the dream, but to think I may see her again when I die and get to experience that love again makes fearing death seem silly. I'd really love to dream that dream again...

I have gotten into the habit of waking up about three in the morning.  I immediately start planning what to work on in the morning.  Sometimes it lasts until the alarm sounds. Other times it is restful and puts me back to sleep. Either way, it helps my mini day!

Matt, that is a great kit.  How old is it and who made it?  Do you know? Can't wait to see what you do with it!