New miniature fantasy - apprenticing

amyole

One thing I try to do, no matter how crazy things get, is to check this forum every day. I can't always respond to  posts or compliment the pictures, but I do feel good vibes when I'm on here - a definite stress reducer. So today, when I was looking at the FABULOUS eye candy, I thought, "I wish I could apprentice with so many of the members here!" I imagine showing up, putting in a full day with one of you clever people, having tea (or some libation) when we're done, and coming home with scads of new skills and ideas for my projects. Of course, I would have to include travel and visits to any museums or RL houses for more inspiration as part of my education.

Thanks, I just had to fantasize out loud.

• Like 5

I just want to spend time with some people on this forum!!  I love the witty comments and come-backs - I'm sure I would get on so well with you all!  Shame about the distance-thing though.....NZ is quite a way away from the majority!  So saying, I am coming over to the UK next year and do intend to visit a few miniature shops etc.....

• Like 2

Yes! Yes! Yes!  I want to apprentice with Mike K, KathieB, Brae, Myangela, Havanaholly, and I can't think right now, I am off to fantasyland!

On 2nd thought, maybe you should all come to my house!  

What a session that would be!

• Like 1

We are so lucky to be living in this Age of the Internet. We visit one another nearly every day through the generous exchanges and sharing here in the forum. But that said, I have enjoyed meeting several forum members as we've traveled around the country. Real life trumps virtual reality in every instance. Would love to meet more members in person. :wave:

• Like 2

We have a guest room and a RV camper that doubles as a guesthouse when more than one of our sons visits.  Meeting miniaturists in real life is exactly like meeting family members!  If I want to fantasize about apprenticeship, though, I'd love to work alongside Ferd Sobol or Mark Turpin or James Carrington!

Oh to spend just one day watching some of the talented miniaturists on this forum would be wonderful!  :D 

I have been a cake artist for many years and during those years I attended and participated in numerous conventions and what we referred to as "Days of Sharing".   In the 'cake world' we did demonstrations of various techniques rather than limited-size classes. In other words, I could go to a convention and in one day watch as many as 4 or 5 of the "big name" decorators give a 45 minute demonstration on the latest technique complete with showing off all of the latest tools to achieve it - all for a minimal cost.  And the next three days I'd do it again until my brain was toast at the end of the week!  LOL

At mini conventions and shows it seems the trend is to hold classes and actually create a little treasure using the techniques being taught.....all with a pretty hefty price tag (at least in my book!).  While that may be kinda cool - I would rather watch the talented teacher do the technique and take notes as they work, and then try out all of the new hints I've learned once I get back home in my own workspace.  The thing is, I don't have the space to display all of the little things made in these classes....I just wanna watch & learn the techniques without breaking my wallet!  LOL

whew!  OK- I will step down from my little soap box now.....sorry 'bout that!

• Like 1