Not sure what to do (Washington door/window trim)

Marian

Do you have an AC Moore near you (that's where I go, but any similar place would be handy)? They have a selection of wood pieces that include balsa and bass with different thicknesses. You can go there and get any shape you would like to make your own door trim and molding. I usually try to stock up when I go so that I have a stash ready for whatever I am doing. Then, when I get super organized, I even prime a bunch of them at the same time to save me that step. You can also order wood pieces on miniatures.com: they sell them separately or in boxes of 12, I think. They are thicker pieces of wood (not balsa). They have milled baseboard and door/window trim pieces, too. In my first house, I used a lot of stirrer sticks for baseboard.

• Like 1

No AC Moore here on the island. We do have Lowes, Home Depot and Joann's just off the island. Stirrer sticks sound like a good idea. I saved the Micro Mark link ...thanks Holly. I used to order huge boxes of balsa for my parrot. That was his favorite wood to destroy. Thresa your little dog in your profile photo is adorable. I'll let you all know what I end up with. 

I have been searching for my second house to build. So many hours on eBay just looking! I really, really like the Willowcrest a lot. The Pierce and McKinley look great too. The Tennyson looks exactly like the same house I grew up in Massachussettes as a kid. Was kind of eerie seeing it! I mean it's identical. I've been searching the goodwill auction site hoping to find something at a great price. I've hit up all the thrift stores searching for something to rehab. So far no luck. Let me know what you all think of the above kits.

I have a few more pieces coming for the Washington too! A gramophone ,upright piano, dresser and a chair and ottoman.  Still need to find a bed for the Master bedroom. Has anyone ordered pieces from China? Is it ok to do? I see a lot of good prices on things from China. I feel like a kid in the candy shop.

Thanks for all the help again.

I was actually looking at The Willowcrest  for myself. ;)  Also,  I sold an unfinished Tennyson years ago so now, I am deciding  if i want to do it again but laser cut. For you, I think it would be cool to do the Tennyson since it is identical to your childhood home.

Sounds like your Washington is going to be awesome.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marian said:

...I have been searching for my second house to build. So many hours on eBay just looking! I really, really like the Willowcrest a lot. The Pierce and McKinley look great too. The Tennyson looks exactly like the same house I grew up in Massachussettes as a kid. Was kind of eerie seeing it! I mean it's identical. I've been searching the goodwill auction site hoping to find something at a great price. I've hit up all the thrift stores searching for something to rehab. So far no luck. Let me know what you all think of the above kits.

I have a few more pieces coming for the Washington too! A gramophone ,upright piano, dresser and a chair and ottoman.  Still need to find a bed for the Master bedroom. Has anyone ordered pieces from China? Is it ok to do? I see a lot of good prices on things from China. I feel like a kid in the candy shop.

Thanks for all the help again.

All of those kit are by Greenleaf, and therefore are available in the store: http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Dollhouse-Kits.html

Except for the artisan-made table with the inlay top I put the radio on, a crib I found in a "grab box" and the three Michaels hutches I repurposed into a chiffarobe, a dish cupboard and the kitchen sink base and the bathroom wall cupboard for linens, I made every other stick of furniture in my Washington; the bed, dresser and ironing board were kits and the rest were scratch-builds.  You can do this.

• Like 1

Marian:

I also grew up in Mass. Small world, huh? (okay to groan at my pun). 

Have you looked at http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/?- there are lots of good ideas for making your own minis here. The internet is a gold mine for tutorials: youtube has many for polymer clay (by sugar charm shop, for example) and pinterest also has links to tutorials. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, amyole said:

Marian:

I also grew up in Mass. Small world, huh? (okay to groan at my pun). 

Have you looked at http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/?- there are lots of good ideas for making your own minis here. The internet is a gold mine for tutorials: youtube has many for polymer clay (by sugar charm shop, for example) and pinterest also has links to tutorials. 

I used Kris' blog for the radio, the kitchen shelf, the armchairs & footstool and the icebox.

• Like 1