Interesting Miniature Tidbits

rodentraiser

Thank you, Valerie! You can add anything any time you want. I totally forgot about the Bostonian. And I wondered the same thing about the Newbury and the New Orleans.

By the way, if anyone else here has any interesting info about our hobby, please, feel free to add. I may have started the thread, but it's not "my" thread. I think it'd be fantastic if we kept adding to this thread over time when we come up with interesting miniatures tidbits.

FWIW, there were two HBS catalogs in the old Orchid kit my mom gave me. One's from Fall 1995 (has an advert for the 2nd Creatin' Contest!) and one's from Fall 1999. If you have questions (What did a Beacon Hill cost 20 years ago? Which Lasertech kits did they sell?) I can check and see. 

(Edit: This was back when they charged for catalogs! Both are marked $5.00 on the front.)

Oh, and PPS--re: mini history, I pulled some basswood out of my stash toake new window frames for the Orchid, and the price stickers on them are for Frank's Nursery and Crafts, from back when I lived in Indiana. Anyone else remember that store? Pretty sure I bought all kinds of mini things there, including the Arthur kit I bashed. They went out of business years ago.

Mary, I've never lived in Indiana -- but that's an amusing irony about the bass wood, b/c I was pulling off old price stickers off of some I got in an estate a good while ago. The name was Franks as well -- and it amazed me the price difference from then to now!

Kelly, if you check out Casey's blog -- Tessie's Townhouse is one in the same as what I'm referencing. I actually just came across another Batrie kit in my shop yesterday that I had forgotten about. Will have to research the name as I don't have the original box.

HBS was apparently not all that serious about the $5 per catalog.  I responded to a mailing for a "complementary" copy of their $5 catalog and began getting one every time a new one came out.  I ordered from them back them, so the catalogs kept coming.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/5/2016, 1:54:14, rodentraiser said:

Emily, I finally found the picture of the Gull Bay Cape. It's not with Jackie's other house plans, but it was in an article about her.

Here 'tis:

57cdd70015057_Picture004.jpg.9430a35942b

Jackie had a business going as Green Apples Miniatures. She began to see her plans published when she talked to Sid Minor, a sales representative for Crafts Publications, and he put her in touch with the owner of Craft Publications, Dave Cunningham. Dave published three of her plan books: Pepperwood Farm, Windflower Manor, and the Concord. Dave later took three more: The Gull Bay Cottage AKA the Cape Cod (pictured above), the Heartford, and the General Store. Later Jackie talked to someone named Lee Carlson who made some Victorian and Colonial components to go with the houses. Yup, that's our Lee Carlson of Carlson's miniatures. All this was in the March 1977 Gazette. Jackie also mentioned how her husband helps with her dollhouses; "He helps me carry them into the house and he helps me carry them out of the house."

Also new in 1977 were three new miniature kits from Realife Miniatures: the Library, the Country Kitchen, and the Music Room.

And NAME was presenting their 5th national Houseparty in San Diego.

I gotta go get some breakfast.

I am currently in the middle of a bunch of things right now: I am on page 100 of a 300 page thread about hauntings in the hospitals on a nurse's forum (let me know if any of you want the link - you will never look at a hospital stay the same way again), I am working on Bramble, I am reading books from the library I ordered that all came in at once (I only ordered 8 this time), and for the next 5 days, I will be attempting to get up in the middle of the night (7am) to be one of the first 200 people in line at a new grocery store opening because what they're giving away is exactly what I need. That may die a quick death, however. I go to bed late and don't get up that early unless I have to throw up or go potty, whichever comes first.

So going through the magazines may be a little spotty. But I will continue to go through them and as I am really just paging through them right now instead of reading them, there's probably lots more in there. Let me know if anyone wants me to be on the lookout for something!

If you still have this link about haunted hospitals pm me. I've had experiences and had colleagues tell me some of their experiences years ago.

Ohhh, I forgot all about this thread.

Um, the haunted thread wasn't 300 pages in the end, but only about 199, I think . Here's the link to the thread.

http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/whats-your-best-108202-page1.html

I was reading another creepy, creepy thread that was supposed to be a fun thread, I guess. It asked the weirdest things your kids ever said to you. It got really creepy because post after post after post had kids telling their parents about the life they lived before they were born. I didn't save that thread and now I can't find it again. Anyway, enjoy the nurse's stories!

• Like 1

I didn't see this thread when it originally published, love this kind of stuff. I also enjoy the back issues. It's almost depressing to see how popular and abundant our hobby was in its heyday, and think about its decline. So much has changed. I saw the first small ad down in a corner of an old nutshell news about how to order from the comfort of your own home using your computer. And I wondered if anyone could have guessed how it would all change from there. 

On 9/12/2016, 4:38:28, havanaholly said:

HBS was apparently not all that serious about the $5 per catalog.  I responded to a mailing for a "complementary" copy of their $5 catalog and began getting one every time a new one came out.  I ordered from them back them, so the catalogs kept coming.

It's better than the old sears catalog.   Haha

1 hour ago, L Swearengin said:

It's better than the old sears catalog.   Haha

43 minutes ago, KathieB said:

But doesn't last as long in the outhouse. <ducking and running>

The newer Sears catalogs aren't nearly as useful in the outhouse, either. (ducking & running right along behind you, Kathie)

• Like 1

Did I ever tell you guys my mom's story about how when she was young they didn't go trick or treating like today? Instead, they played pranks. A bunch of kids got together to push an outhouse over and her brother fell in.

Next time someone makes a mini of a Halloween house, the tree must be TP'd and the outhouse must be on it's side.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Did I ever tell you guys my mom's story about how when she was young they didn't go trick or treating like today? Instead, they played pranks. A bunch of kids got together to push an outhouse over and her brother fell in.

Next time someone makes a mini of a Halloween house, the tree must be TP'd and the outhouse must be on it's side.

Kelly, have you watched "Meet Me in St. Louis"? There is a cute Halloween scene. I love the house from the movie too!

https://vimeo.com/189640044

When I grew up in Detroit, MI, they had "Devil's Night"; it was the night before Halloween.  They did many pranks that night.  Pushing things over, egging houses, spreading toilette paper, etc.  insane.  In Detroit proper, they even lit things on fire.  Scary.  When I moved to Seattle when I was 21, they never heard of it.  Glad.  So weird though.  My whole life growing up, it was an actual "holiday".  Weird. 

• Like 1

large.5994e3476549f_CameraUploads_00003.large.5994e346c8794_CameraUploads_00002.large.5994e3462471e_CameraUploads_00001.

This is a great thread.  It is encouraging me to pull out my old The Miniature Magazines.  It was the first magazine I subscribed to when I first got started.  I purchased the entire set a few years ago on eBay.  It is like the NAME magazines and full of inspiration and history!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2016, 10:28:46, Elsbeth said:

Kirkbride. Does that mean anything to you Kelly? I have visited several Kirkbride buildings. And chatted with the security guards. 'Nuf said. I love them. I'd love to do a quarter scale Kirkbride. They are mostly in the east, but there is at least one in the west and it is gorgeous. Probably gone by now- but it was there in 90s - old and rotting and guarded by guards to prevent looky loos like me from going in. But the guard was nice. Made me delete my photos, tho. Ahem. Which I "sort of" did. When I go east, they seem to pop up in front of me on my travels and I know what they are immediately and I LOVE the architecture...coincidence (because there were many in the east) or am I subconsciously drawn to them? Mwahahahahaha who knows! lol!

A quarter scale Kirkbride would be the ultimate halloween house.

But back to dollhouses - I had read an article about Jackie Dieber's other houses - I am always interested in seeing her Colonial and Victorian plans...I thought she had also done a 1900s house...a 4 square type. But maybe not - I have over 100 nutshell news magazine from the 80s - the time when I was young and collecting but couldn't afford to buy the magazine (I'd get maybe 1 or 2 per year as a treat). As a self-indulgent adult, I bought a set on ebay for a song (less than $1 apiece) and have been mini-time-traveling since. I love reading old magazines. I also have some home/ladies magazine from the year my house was built so I can keep in touch with my house's time-roots. A bit odd, yes, but fun.

I just came across this website when I was searching for info on Jacqueline Kerr Deiber. I saw your comments about Kirkbride buildings. I think they are gorgeous buildings! We have 3, here in Iowa, that are still in use today. I discovered them when I was researching insane asylums and county poor farms. It is sad to see all these old buildings and homes, with such wonderful architecture, slowly disappearing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JssHop said:

Kirkbride buildings

Of course I had to look.  Insane asylums .... wow, what backstories these would have in mini. See info about buildings here. It is interesting to note that although the floor plans were similar, each was designed by a different architect.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017, 5:25:23, KathieB said:

Of course I had to look.  Insane asylums .... wow, what backstories these would have in mini. See info about buildings here. It is interesting to note that although the floor plans were similar, each was designed by a different architect.

On 11/17/2017, 5:25:23, KathieB said:

This is not a Kirkbride building, but I love the porches on the back of it. http://edinburghmanor.wixsite.com/edinburgh  or for more photos go here:

https://abandonedforgottendecayed.com

On 9/6/2016, 10:28:46, Elsbeth said:

Kirkbride. Does that mean anything to you Kelly? I have visited several Kirkbride buildings. And chatted with the security guards. 'Nuf said. I love them. I'd love to do a quarter scale Kirkbride. They are mostly in the east, but there is at least one in the west and it is gorgeous. Probably gone by now- but it was there in 90s - old and rotting and guarded by guards to prevent looky loos like me from going in. But the guard was nice. Made me delete my photos, tho. Ahem. Which I "sort of" did. When I go east, they seem to pop up in front of me on my travels and I know what they are immediately and I LOVE the architecture...coincidence (because there were many in the east) or am I subconsciously drawn to them? Mwahahahahaha who knows! lol!

A quarter scale Kirkbride would be the ultimate halloween house.

But back to dollhouses - I had read an article about Jackie Dieber's other houses - I am always interested in seeing her Colonial and Victorian plans...I thought she had also done a 1900s house...a 4 square type. But maybe not - I have over 100 nutshell news magazine from the 80s - the time when I was young and collecting but couldn't afford to buy the magazine (I'd get maybe 1 or 2 per year as a treat). As a self-indulgent adult, I bought a set on ebay for a song (less than $1 apiece) and have been mini-time-traveling since. I love reading old magazines. I also have some home/ladies magazine from the year my house was built so I can keep in touch with my house's time-roots. A bit odd, yes, but fun.

I just came across this website when I was searching for info on Jacqueline Kerr Deiber. I saw your comments about Kirkbride buildings. I think they are gorgeous buildings! We have 3, here in Iowa, that are still in use today. I discovered them when I was researching insane asylums and county poor farms. It is sad to see all these old buildings and homes, with such wonderful architecture, slowly disappearing. 

Just looked up Kirkbride buildings, my gosh, they are beautiful.  I would love to see one. Old buildings like this fascinate me as my grandmother came over as a "Home Child" orphan from Scotland.  She was a child at Quarriers Orphanage.  I plan to visit the village one day, Scotland is on my bucket list because of this.