Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1" Scale Hinge Help

2 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I recently acquired a collection of Xacto House of Miniatures 1" scale kits. I've been putting together the dower chest, and am down to the last little bit. Unfortunately, it seems one of the hinges is defective, and won't close all the way. I've done a good bit of googling in an attempt to replace it, but most 1" scale hinges seem to be 10mm, but these hinges are more like 6mm. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have successfully used wee strips of chamois I've cut for hinges on the 1:24 furniture I made for the Fairfields: 

kitchen.JPGpantry.JPG

the doughbox                                                                                                 and the doors under the window seat

and I also used chamois strips to hinge the doors on the Hoosier cabinet and the icebox.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• House of Miniatures and some other stuff
      By tjb
      Hi Everyone!  It's been a while since I've posted on the forum but I have been lurking a bit.  I have decided that my piles of "stuff" are a bit out of hand so I'm going to keep some select items but get rid of the rest.  I have one or two House of Miniature furniture kits and before listing them elsewhere I thought I would give first dibs to everyone here.
      Here's the list. Sorry it's not in numerical order. The number in () is the amount of the kit I have. Most of them are still in plastic wrap.
      House of Miniatures
      40031 Chippendale Bench (3)
      40044 Lyreback Chair (2)
      40012 Chippendale Nightstand (2)
      40036 Hepplewhite Serpentine Table (2)
      40021 Queen Anne Fire Screen (1)
      40013 Queen Anne Candle Stand (3)
      40039 Queen Anne Tea Table (1)
      40001 Closed Cabinet Top (2)
      40002 Open Cabinet Top (1)
      40034 Dower Chest (2)
      40032 Chippendale Hanging Shelf (2)
      40028 Straight Leg Chippendale Chair (4)
      40027 Cabriole Leg Chippendale Arm Chair (1)
      40026 Cabriole Leg Chippendale Chair (1)
      40037 Chippendale Corner Chair (2)
      40007 Side Chair (2)
      40083 Queen Anne Arm Chair (1)
      40040 Chippendale Open Arm Chair (1)
      40035 Hooded Cradle (1)
      40016 Chippendale Wing Chair (1)
      42403 Chippendale Looking Glass (1)
      40043 Chippendale Day Bed (3)
      40006 Hepplewhite 3 Piece Dining Table (2)
      40011 Chippendale 3 Drawer Chest (2)
      40009 Chippendale Chest On Chest (2)
      40017 Chippendale Desk (2)
      40010 Chippendale 6 Drawer Chest (2)
      40019 Chippendale Dry Sink (2)
      40022 Chippendale Straight Top Highboy (1)
      40050 Chippendale Serpentine Chest (1)
      40055 Queen Anne Settee (2)
      40038 Queen Anne Table (3)
      40004 Hepplewhite Side Table (3)
      40049 Chippendale Candle Stands (1)
      40047 Hepplewhite Candle Stands (1)
      42404 Chippendale Pier Glass (1)
      40008 Queen Anne Tilt Top Table (3)
      40014 Chippendale Canopy Bed (3)
      40033 Chippendale Low Post Bed (5)
      40060 Single Low Post Bed Chippendale (1)
      40015 Chippendale Sofa (1)
      40056 Hepplewhite Corner Wash Stand (1)
      40057 Chippendale Fire Screen (1)
      40030 Chippendale Double Chair Settee (1)
      40062 Hepplewhite Cellarette (1)
      40076 Hepplewhite Grandmother Clock (1)
      40063 Swinging Cradle (1)
      40080 Bookstand & Pedestal Desk (1)
      40073 Slat Back Chair (1)
      Also some misc furniture kits and house kits:
      Shenandoah Designs Chippendale Collection Highboy #3012
      Heritage Collection Realife Miniatures Kitchen (still in plastic wrap)
      Ernie's Bus Kit
      DuraCraft Manchester Country House
    • House of Miniatures
      By aussieguy84
      Hi everyone,
      I'm looking to purchase the 40051 Cupboard Top Kit. I've been scouting eBay for some time and nothing. Does anyone have one which they are willing to part with? 
      Thanks 

• How should I hinge my oven doors?
      By Samusa
      So I'm hoping for some advice from the furniture builders out there on how to hinge an oven door. I'm building myself a little stove for my San Franciscan, because 1. I don't have a lot of room and needed something to fit a particular space & 2. I just couldn't find anything that size that a. I liked. b. wasn't too expensive c. fit my theme of retro enough to be cozy comfortable but not olde worldy... lol
      So anyhoo, I've been building one out of the wood inserts from the windows of my kit (reuse, recycle, repurpose!) and I've hit a snag.... how on earth do I hinge my oven doors??? 
      I've looked at my RL oven and don't think I could replicate the complicated contraption that is a hinge in that one! Then I looked at mini ovens on ebay and see they use kind of a U shaped hinge & pole contraption. Not sure I could master that either. Does anyone have any ideas. I've quickly mocked the pieces up below so you can see what I'm up against. 

There is paper bunched inside to hold the pieces in place and obviously the handles will be in two parts not across both ovens in one stretch but you get the idea. The tiny bottom doors are actually draw fronts for warming draws..   (oh, and my edges aren't that rough.. it's masking tape on the inside so that I don't get the enamel paint I'm using on the exterior on to the black interior.)

• clock1.jpg
      By kathi17
      The HOM Simon Willard Tall Case Clock. I made this for my granddaughter as well. The door really does close tightly, but I didn't pay attention to the fact that is was partly open when I took the picture.
    • BH Front door
      By clairevc
      I want to hinge the front doors on the BH. Miniatures.com catalog on pg.15 have different hinges. I really don't know which one to purchase. Any suggestions? Thanks