Making progress

SJDeluke

So last weekend I managed to dry fit my ENTIRE Garfield house (minus the trim and windows/doors).  I must say, this thing is quite sturdy even just taped together as I've had to move it around and rotate it on the table quite a few times to get to other areas.  Now it's just been sitting, party because I got slapped with a series of headaches this week and partly because I don't know what to do next (so I'm currently organizing my workspace).  I think I should probably label my interior walls so I know what room they are when I disassemble but I'm itching to do the stairs because I'm already planning to change them up and know what I want them to look like.  Also wanting to make my own windows/doors but definitely need to do lots of research before I tackle that project.  I feel like I have ADD when I look at my house!

Sarah, I began to make my own windows and doors.  Whilst the house is in dry fit I take a pencil and draw lines along all the corners where wood meets wood, and I cut any number of strips of masking or painter's tape 1/4" wide to mask off wherever I will want to glue wood to wood whenever I get around to actually gluing things together.  I also prime & decorate areas I won't be able to get my hands into after the house is together (like hallways and stairwells). 

I trace around the door and window openings onto a sheet of paper and use those as patterns.  I also invest in huge amounts of strip wood, 1/8"X1/4" (useful for all sorts of things) and I make boxes with them that will fit snugly into the door and window openings, and then I make the doors and windows to fit inside those boxes, and I pin-hinge the doors.  Most recently I did this with my farmhouse:

56d51c1440c68-parlor1.JPGhall & bathroom.JPG