Ideas for a "four seasons" roombox

fov

Thanks Cathy. :)

I think no on the hat... he's sort of tucked under the window and it would get in the way. But maybe I could give him a muffler. Or maybe earmuffs?

2 hours ago, fov said:

Thanks Cathy. :)

I think no on the hat... he's sort of tucked under the window and it would get in the way. But maybe I could give him a muffler. Or maybe earmuffs?

Or a broom; he looks a tad nekkid.

Here's a picture with the cat in the window. :)

seasons91.jpg

I worked on the autumn scene yesterday.

seasons121.jpg

The cat's keeping an eye on that squirrel!

seasons119.jpg

The leaves are a mix of paper leaves that I made with a teeny tiny punch, and "leaf litter", which is apparently the insides of birch seed pods. I don't know of any nearby birch trees so I bought package of it from a store called Green Stuff World that has supplies for model war miniatures. What I received is brown just like dead leaves, and I painted some red and orange to look more like they'd just fallen off the tree. The punch for the tiny leaves came from the same website.

I posted a blog today with more details about how I did the scene: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=10936

• Like 2

The snowman was super easy to make, I glued together two wood balls and covered them with Snow Tex. The arms are pieces of caspia basil painted brown, and the eyes and nose and buttons are little pebbles that I painted (but you could use polymer clay, beads, etc). I posted a tutorial here: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=10846

Kittens are a cute idea! I've seen a pregnant cat and a cat with kittens, but only in 1:12 scale.

The cat in the autumn scene was bothering me since he's noticeably smaller than the others. (At least, it's noticeable to me...) Last night I ordered one that looks like he's stalking prey. I'm going to put him near the squirrel on the ground, and then I'll move the squirrel with the nut to a different scene so it can be like the same squirrel is showing up in two different seasons.

• Like 2

Love this idea!  Years ago we went to the Epcot Center in Florida's Disney World and they had a display, lifesize, of a "modern" kitchen. It was on a round turntable, and the audience sat in theater chairs in front of it. It would slowly turn, with each section being updated by about 10 years.  Same room, similar people, but all the latest fixtures and appliances from the next era. I found it fascinating. The first "modern" kitchen had a wood range, with kindling piled neatly beside it. It moved on up to gas stoves, electric stoves, glass topped and digital readout stoves, etc. Same with all the appliances and decorations. I'd love to go see it again, but it's not too likely.

Your display reminded me of that - same basic scene, with the changing of the seasons. Great idea!  :clap:

Edited by CheckMouse
fix typos

Funny you mentioned that, I recently went to the Disney museum in San Francisco and they had a miniature version of one of those vignettes on display. There's a thread about it here.

• 1 month later...

Spring and summer are here! These aren't completely finished yet, I still have to do the hanging plants over the mailboxes and add curtains and accessories inside the windows. I'm also hoping to buy a different wreath for the door in each scene, I'm talking to someone on Etsy about maybe doing a custom order for me.

seasons152.jpg

umbrella03.jpg

The dandelions growing by the door in the spring scene are still there in the summer, but they've turned into white seed balls:

umbrella04.jpg

And here's the new fall cat:

seasons138.jpg

• Like 2

I bought some critters from Barbara Ann Meyer (http://www.mini-gems.com) -- a robin, a female cardinal, & a bunny for Spring, and a crow for Fall.

(The robin's nest and tulips in frog planter were gifts from Debora / dalesq :) )

Does the bunny seem too small to you guys?

critters02.jpg

critters03.jpg

critters01.jpg

critters04.jpg

• Like 1