Need some help from Heloise

SuzyQ

I have a strange question.

After having looked for hours to find the right kind of basketball shoes for RayAnne we finally settled on a pair that she actually liked and that fit her properly (they had to be black says the coach) Anyhow she wore them to practice today and she said she didn't like them they were slippery.

Does anyone know of anything I could do to them to keep them from being so slick? The soles felt like they had good grips on them. I am not sure what to do.

Years ago, when all babies shoes were those high white tops and had slick bottoms, I use to put a strip of adhesive tape down the middle. Stop the slip, not sure it this will work for a basketball player though.

Is Heloise still around? :)

Maybe there is some type of coating on the sole that could be scrubbed off?

I too used tape on my older son's shoes when he was learning to walk in those little white hightops. Don't know that tape would help here -- it could pull off while she's moving & cause all kinds of problems.

This is just a thought...there is a product that can be applied to the back of rugs to prevent slippage. It might work but I'm not sure where to find the stuff. It's only something that I've heard about but never actually used. A hobby shop might be a good place to start.

I remember waaaaaaaaay back in jr. high, I had problems with my shoes on the court because of dust and dirt from wearing them outside of gym. Perhaps she could wash and dry the bottoms of them before going out on the court? If the problem is that the shoes just have no natural traction, perhaps she could rough them up on concrete or sandpaper?

They actually make these little doodads that you can stick to the bottom of shoes that stop slipage...I discovered them after ending up under my sister's car while trying to get into it...darn those slick shoes!! They have adhesive on the back and are made of plastic or rubber? and sort of resemble sandpaper...although I don't know if these would be okay for wear on an indoor basketball court ..You can find them in most shoe stores and they are reasonably priced...they do fall off eventually, but I have never needed to put a second set on any shoe.

Thanks everyone. Her shoes are doing better I think they must have had some weird coating on the bottoms of them. Now that she has worn them a bit on the gym floor they seem to be ok now.

Most often plastics or rubbery items are coated with a "let go" agent so that they are easy enough to get out of the mold, it will wear off when it is used but if one is impatient (and yes I have tried this LOL) one can rinse it of with a washing detergent mix so that the oily residue is washed of, just be sure that you get the detergent of as well as otherwise..... it will be a slippery slope LOL

Good to hear that it solved itself!

Hugs