Beacon Hill Porch Posts

JT

Hi!  I'm endeavoring to build my first doll house. I've just discovered that my porch posts won't fit in the holes & neither will the caps fit over the posts - so looking for some guidance regarding the matter.  Anyone bump into this?

Welcome to the little family, John.  Someone who has built the Beacon Hill is likelier to see your question if you ask one of the moderators to move it to this subforum:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=forums&id=27 (which I'm sure one of them will do as soon as they see it).  Are you building it for a child or grandchild or SO?  (Yes, we're nosy)

48 minutes ago, JT said:

Hi!  I'm endeavoring to build my first doll house. I've just discovered that my porch posts won't fit in the holes & neither will the caps fit over the posts - so looking for some guidance regarding the matter.  Anyone bump into this?

Hi, John, and welcome to the forum. You may need to sand or shave parts, slots, tabs, etc., to get a good fit in assembly throughout the build. That's one reason we highly recommend dry fitting -- putting it together with tape before reaching for the glue.

Two words - Dremel Tool !!!  

As Kathie states parts often need to be shaved to adjust the fit, a Dremel tool with a round sanding wheel on the tip works great for removing material quickly - and I sand everything usually using one of those foam core sanding blocks. Often the edges of the wood are rough and pitted in which case I apply spackling then sand. Note: If painting the component Spackling if staining use wood putty to fill any imperfections...Spackling does not take stain very well. Having a pre-plan on paint and or stain is also important unless you are a contortionist and can get into small places easily. Just make sure you are understanding the directions well before performing surgery. 

I have found the following Blog at More Minis to be helpful whenever i was stumped construction.

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-beacon-hill-dollhouse-revisited_91.html#.V952n_krJ9N

Good luck and have fun

Danny 

It has been my experience that wood putty doesn't take stain, either.  I mix clean sawdust with enough wood glue to make a thick paste (like spackle) and add stain to match and use that mixture for wood putty.  It's also sandable.

Thanks everyone for the info.  The Boss Lady figured it out!  I'm a dumbbell- get to disassemble in order to assemble them correctly.

Our 9 year old daughter got this for Christmas- probably be lucky if it's built by the time she's 18!!

jt 

Hey, John. While assembling my BH, I got to the porch and got stumped, too. Life intervened, flash forward about 3 years, with the BH still sitting here without a porch ... then, lo and behold! Someone posts a photo of a bashed BH with NO porch and a lovely stone stairway. Guess who's rethinking the entrance. :) The moral of the story is: if you let it coast long enough, the remedy to the challenge will come to you. (Or some smart aleck will point it out, which can be rather humbling. *sigh* )

• 2 years later...
On 9/18/2016, 7:24:38, Boca1212 said:

Two words - Dremel Tool !!!  

As Kathie states parts often need to be shaved to adjust the fit, a Dremel tool with a round sanding wheel on the tip works great for removing material quickly - and I sand everything usually using one of those foam core sanding blocks. Often the edges of the wood are rough and pitted in which case I apply spackling then sand. Note: If painting the component Spackling if staining use wood putty to fill any imperfections...Spackling does not take stain very well. Having a pre-plan on paint and or stain is also important unless you are a contortionist and can get into small places easily. Just make sure you are understanding the directions well before performing surgery. 

I have found the following Blog at More Minis to be helpful whenever i was stumped construction.

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-beacon-hill-dollhouse-revisited_91.html#.V952n_krJ9N

Good luck and have fun

Danny 

The link is no longer working.