Hi, all! New member

Leetie Buttons

Hi, everybody! I'm 58, live in Chapel Hill, and would love someone to do miniatures/crafting with if anyone's nearby.  I have been fascinated with all things small my entire life. However there's been a loooong hiatus from dolls with no projects while I was busy being a grown-up. I am finally nannying a kid who enjoys dollhouses! We have made tons of stuff for her already, and it has reignited my fire. So sad that I have waited until my vision is going and I have arthritis in my hands before I got back to this! I love American Girls, but their stuff tends to be big. I also enjoy working in 1/6 scale. I've never done anything in 1/12 scale, and can't wait to start a dollhouse. But my true love has always been 1/24 scale. Luckily, as we work in that a lot because Vivi loves her Playmobil! It's delightful because you can make so many rooms that fit in such a small space. All the dollhouses I've ever made have been cardboard or made on bookshelves. That works great for a kid, but I think it's MY turn to have a dollhouse.  I don't know whether it will be a kit or I will build something myself. I have been browsing miniatures boards and Greenleaf while I mull it over. It will be a while yet. Here's to miniatures! [tiny clink] 

Welcome to the group Alita.

When I first got married, I cared for a 6 year old girl for a few weeks, between the time she got out of school and the time her mother got out of work. When she was in her twenties, I saw her again for the first time since I cared for her. The first thing she said to me was that the times we made doll's dishes out of salt dough clay, were some of the best times she had as a child. It meant so much to me that she remembered that after all those years! I'll bet the child you are nannying will remember making things for dollhouses with you for the rest of her life!

Welcome to the little family, Alita.  I started building dollhouses when I was 50 and starting Nursing School.  Since then I have added making dolls furniture & accessories fot the dollhouses.  You like 1:24?  I have done two builds in 1:24:  a hacienda and a Bar Harbor Summer Cottage.

Hi Alita, and welcome to the forum! If you're having problems with arthritis in your hands, you may find the 1:12 a bit less fiddly to work with. Consider working with polyclay to make food, dolls, and other accessories. Kneading the clay may help keep those joints loose. 

Hi, Alita, and welcome!  I am part of the bad vision and arthritis crowd myself, and working on my houses has really helped, at least with the arthritis.  And hobby stores make many cool things to help with the vision part, which is good for me since I am becoming blind as a bat!

Glad you joined us!