School days, school days. . .

shamrockgirl18

Another trip home to my parents' house= another dollhouse liberated from their basement!

This time I brought back the one room schoolhouse because I wanted to use it in a display at the library.

This house was a free find at the Maryland flea market/auction I used to haunt. I was amazed that nobody took it. It looks as though it was made by hand from scratch. When I got it, it was not painted (I painted it red as soon as I got it home) and the front step and the bell tower had come off.

I was still pretty new to building/repairing mini's, so I used Gorilla Glue to reaffix the pieces- and it made a big mess. It bubbled over the sides and dripped down the roof. Does anyone have any tips for removing Gorilla Glue?

It's such a cute little structure, and it also came with all the accessories so I'd like to give it some attention and make it look nice again.

Here's a link to the album-

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=2806

the album hasn't been updated in many years because I haven't worked on this dh in so long.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

Does anyone have any tips for removing Gorilla Glue?

I did a quick Google.  It appears that once it it dry, the only way to get it off is mechanically, using a chisel, sandpaper, nail file, etc. There are no solvents that will touch it once it is dry.

The schoolhouse will be a great display for the library. How wonderful that you saved it from a possible fate in a dumpster.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I did a quick Google.  It appears that once it it dry, the only way to get it off is mechanically, using a chisel, sandpaper, nail file, etc. There are no solvents that will touch it once it is dry.

The schoolhouse will be a great display for the library. How wonderful that you saved it from a possible fate in a dumpster.

Yup- I just went out with a razor blade and tried doing it that way. If it's a small bit, it will come off, but will probably damage what's underneath- like roof shingles.

If it's a thicker/bigger amount of glue- it will break the razor blade.

Maybe I should replace the missing shingles, repaint the roof, and add some moss on it.

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Xylene removes it.

Really? The Youtube video put out by the folks who make Gorilla Glue says no solvent will touch it once dry. Even if it does work, I think I'd avoid it because of its toxicity. 

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I vaguely remember one of the mini magazines running patterns for the old fashioned school desks.  What about the blackboards, teacher's desk, globe, wall maps and alphabet chart above the blackboard?

I made a bigger blackboard, and there is a teacher's desk, but I still think it looks a little sparse. I think I've seen little hanging maps for sale at Michael's.  .  .