New, Working On Orchid..Clueless

DestinySara

1 hour ago, DestinySara said:

ok guys and gals, what dO I use to put in wallpaper? elmers glue, wood glue or the wallpaper paste? what about flour and water?

No to flour and water. Wallpaper paste in premixed small tubs from any hardware store, is my preference. It comes off fairly easily if you ever want to change it later. Elmers glue is pretty permanent and too difficult to remove at a later date.

• Like 1

Wood glue for wood to wood, Elmer's all-purpose white glue for the transparent acetate (it dries clear), wallpaper paste for wall coverings.  Unless you live somewhere where there are no bugs whatsoever, I recommend never using flour & water paste.

• Like 1

I agree with Sable and Holly. Flour is a feast for bugs, but wallpaper paste is perfect. Hopefully you can find some in your area, all the stores in this area stopped carrying that and wallpaper a few years ago. It's sad for me, because it's so difficult to get, and I also love wallpaper in my house. Painted walls in every room look cold and impersonal to me.

I really miss looking at the wallpaper books and trying to decide what I like the best. It's not at all the same online, because you can't really tell the colors, or hold it up to your walls.

I've got some wallpaper paste ordered but it wont be here till friday since my stores don't carry it or wallpaper at all. Sad. I wanted to have that done before then. I'm playing with the floor dividers for now. I have no idea how the first floor divider(in the shape of a P) is capable of fitting under the second floor with that odd shape it has. I'm assuming it (the tail of the P) goes towards the front wall since I never see it in any picture but I just can't make it fit. extended instructions don't even mention it.

Tried it up, down, facing forward and back. Managed to knock the tabs of the second floor out of the walls from trying to get it to go in.

Still in the debate over whether to add stairs.

I buy my wallpaper paste at the hardware store.  In addition to the odd bits of 1:12 dollhouse wallpaper I occasionally run across I have used 1:1 paper in tiny prints, scrapbook paper, shelf liner, giftwrap, fabric and wine gift bags to cover walls.

9 hours ago, Sable said:

Home Depot and Lowes have wallpaper paste.

The nearest Home Depot is an hour away and the nearest Lowes is 30 miles. I do all my dollhousing at about midnight when I'm in the mood so naturally the stores are closed and I do go out except on a weekend so I kinda amazon prime everything. I get points back on my purchases so It kinda pays me to do it that way rather than shop on my lunch break that I technically don't get.

Haven't tried giftwrap or fabric or anything but it is an interesting idea. my uncle used contact paper for my cousin's house and it looked great but I got a better deal with the wallpaper from hobby lobby. more prints for the same cash.

I have decided that the next house I do after Christmas will be the Glencroft . Just got to get the divider put in the first floor after I may cut it down some. then I'll wallpaper, roof and shingle the thing. I should be done by thanksgiving so I can start on Orchid #2

10 minutes ago, DestinySara said:

The nearest Home Depot is an hour away and the nearest Lowes is 30 miles. I do all my dollhousing at about midnight when I'm in the mood so naturally the stores are closed and I do go out except on a weekend so I kinda amazon prime everything. I get points back on my purchases so It kinda pays me to do it that way rather than shop on my lunch break that I technically don't get.

Haven't tried giftwrap or fabric or anything but it is an interesting idea. my uncle used contact paper for my cousin's house and it looked great but I got a better deal with the wallpaper from hobby lobby. more prints for the same cash.

I have decided that the next house I do after Christmas will be the Glencroft . Just got to get the divider put in the first floor after I may cut it down some. then I'll wallpaper, roof and shingle the thing. I should be done by thanksgiving so I can start on Orchid #2

I live in a community that has every single national store within 5 miles of me. I take it for granted that it  isn't always the case.  This has actually impeded on my decision on where we should retire. My "must have" stores are part of the equation.

Yes, Sable

I spent my college days in a big city and loved that I had access to everything within 5 miles but where I live, If amazon doesnt have it then I can't get it.

Got the wallpaper done on my first floor. Will add a picture once I get the second floor done.

• Like 1

Ok, wallpaper is done.

Moving on now. Got my staircase drying after I painted it and then it will go in. Going to work on the dormers and the rear roof.

can anyone tell me what the point of the gusset in the second floor? it says to glue one next to the large dormer window. sounds odd.

house 2.JPG

2 hours ago, kathi17 said:

I think the gussets just help to strengthen the peaks of the roof and gables. There isn't a lot of surface area there, so they help to support them.

the gussets on the edges of the roof are keeping the roof from fully coming together.:dunno:

Welcome.  You will, as mentioned, have lots of support and where and how to find what you need for your dollhouse.  I HAVE become obsessed with miniatures in various scales.  Just think of the wonderful decor and homes you can create.  I am looking forward to your building.

On 11/13/2016, 11:37:25, DestinySara said:

the gussets on the edges of the roof are keeping the roof from fully coming together.:dunno:

Sorry, I've had a busy week and didn't see this until just now. I actually put my gussets in after the roof was assembled. I did the same with my gables.

8 hours ago, kathi17 said:

Sorry, I've had a busy week and didn't see this until just now. I actually put my gussets in after the roof was assembled. I did the same with my gables.

I did the same thing.  I don't remember now if I glued those gussets to the top of the divider wall or the tops of the left & right wall peaks.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2016, 5:38:28, havanaholly said:

I did the same thing.  I don't remember now if I glued those gussets to the top of the divider wall or the tops of the left & right wall peaks.

I took the gussets back out but that didn't help it. turns out my attic partition is just a tiny bit too tall. I had forgotten that when I wrote my notes. tried it every which way and it is just a hair too tall. going to try to clamp the rear and front roof to glue them together and seal the small gap. 

In other news, I bought my paint for house two and I'm using it to paint the casings for the windows and detail work on the house. I should have the house #1 done by thanksgiving. I'll start to assemble house #2 while doing shingles on house 1. I dont want to mix parts and pieces. The bay window looks like loads of trouble, is there an easy way to put it in?

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I used my magnetic gluing jig to assemble the bay, dry fitting it onto the wall to check, and when it was all primed, painted and assembled with the inserts I attached it to the house.

right but how exactly does it attach to the house? do i glue all three pieces together then add to the house or do i add it in pieces? what about the top and base? how do they go on to fit straight?

I dry fit the top & bottom of the bay in their places in the opening and taped them into place, then I taped the exterior window trims into place and saw that they all fit.  With the magnetic gluing jig I set the back of the bottom of the bay against one side and glued the bottom of the center exterior window trim into place, using the magnets to hold it against the front of the bottom edge; then I glued each exterior side window trim bottom to the bottom of each bay side.  Then I used a toothpick to place a thin bead of glue long the "seam" between each vertical edge of window trim that touched and taped them in place.

When the glue was dry I removed the tape & magnets and proceeded to glue the bay top to the tops of the exterior window trims.  When I was ready to install the interior window trims I also dry fit and sanded the outer edges until everything not only fit nicely in the bay, but the bay fit the opening for it in the wall, and that's when I glued it in.

On 11/17/2016, 9:56:08, havanaholly said:

I used my magnetic gluing jig to assemble the bay, dry fitting it onto the wall to check, and when it was all primed, painted and assembled with the inserts I attached it to the house.

bay window installed. shingles tomorrow.

On 11/17/2016, 9:56:08, havanaholly said:
10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I

I cannot believe I have reached the final threshold. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it isn't a train.

I've got my shingles soaking up stain while I'm sanding the rough edges on Orchid #2.The second one should*knock on wood* be easier since I now know what not to do.

2 hours ago, DestinySara said:

...The second one should*knock on wood* be easier since I now know what not to do.

The secret to dealing with mistakes and "oopsies" is to realize that they are learning opportunities.