What is your costume for Halloween?

Luanne

I am going with my 2 nieces who will be a bumble bee and Wonder Woman.  I am not sure if there is a theme here. I looked through the choices on Amazon but nothing stands out. What would you suggest? I tend to like cartoon/ animated characters such as Gromit ( from Wallace and Gromit), Wall-e.... What is your costume going to be and any ideas for me?  Thanks. 

Here was my favorite costume for Halloween once when I worked at the bank. It's great if you have longish hair.

First you get a flat piece of cardstock and roll it up and tape it so it can't come undone. Then you would take double sided tape as wide as you can get it and put that on the cardstock. Next, pin the cardstock on to your head with some heavy duty bobby pins and when it's secure, pull all your hair up so that it sticks to the tape.. At that point, you want to get a can of that white costume spray and spray your hair white. Get some white costume makeup and paint your face all white with two black circles around your eyes. Don't forget your arms. Last, find an old white bedsheet, cut a hole in it and wear that. Hmmm.....seems to me I had to put that on before I did the hair. Some fake blood on the sheet and some white socks and tennis shoes with a dog chain around your ankle completes the scene.

That's not exactly a Gromit costume, but it sure will turn heads!

We decorate up our front porch big time - just for that night though. Otherwise it's just posies and pumpkins.

Twinkle puts out her miniature Halloween house all done up with lights. All the little girls love to look at it. Each year she adds something new to freshen it up. We have carved lighted pumpkins of course. The thing the kiddos love most is our moving and talking ghost and activated with a hand clap. It rises and lowers and changes color while it talks to them. It's a plastic skull covered and draped in cheesecloth. Then we have a huge sudden drop spider with red glowing eyes and giaaaant cobwebs. This year we are adding a weird old glowing skellie to the clan. We have sounds effects via an old CD of scary shrieks and weird noises. There's lots of cemetery stones, bloody axes and Beware signs and so on. I change out the porch lights to eerie colored ones too. Lots of nonsense and fun.

Area kiddos love to come and "get scared"!! It's hilarious to watch. My DH sits out there in a big old work jacket and hat, with the giant candy dish, sometimes with an old man mask on and sometimes just his regular old man self. Often they think he's a statue until he clears his throat or coughs. Sends them scurrying but then they come running right back to check it out.

I specifically don't dress up so there is one thing that looks friendly and normal to the littler kiddos and keep some candy aside to go out in the yard with for those who aren't ready to check it out up close.

We have a good time and then close up shop for another year. Kids start asking in the Fall if the scary porch is coming back again. We smile and say we hope so. Gotta leave a hook you know. All good stories have them.

I've made costumes for several of my nieces and nephews over the years, and this year I'm making a Wonder Woman costume for my sister's 1yo and helped my mom make a cape so her 5yo brother could be "Captain John Deere," a superhero of his own invention. 

Since I'm dressing the superheroes, I'm thinking of putting something together so I can go as Edna Mode, the costumer from The Incredibles. I have some big round black glasses and should be able to put the rest of it together from my closet, maybe with a tape measure around my neck. Pretty sure nobody but me will actually get it, but that's okay. Like they used to say in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 writers' room, "We don't ask if everyone will get our jokes. We say, 'The right people will get it.'"

I am doing a drag costume inspired by the 80s cartoon Jem and the Holograms. I've got a colorful dress, some heels, bracelets, make up, light up jewelry, a vibrant blue wig, colorful scarf which I'm using as a belt, and Jemstar earrings!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Samusa said:

I don't do costumes anymore but my Fur Babies Wrigley & Cubbie (Guess which Baseball team Hubby's obsessed with.. :rolleyes:) wish you a Happy Halloween!

IMG_2214.JPG

I guess right now in your household there is much anxiety and interest in the World Series?

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I guess right now in your household there is much anxiety and interest in the World Series?

Haha.. yes Holly... the Cubbies are giving us all heart palpitations. DH is actually in Chicago right now and went to game three. Goodness knows what he paid for that ticket! Oh well, it just means he can't complain when I spend money on Miniatures. :D

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

Haha.. yes Holly... the Cubbies are giving us all heart palpitations. DH is actually in Chicago right now and went to game three. Goodness knows what he paid for that ticket! Oh well, it just means he can't complain when I spend money on Miniatures. :D

You cannot put price tags on satisfaction.

• 1 month later...