Hurricane Matthew

Thanks everyone. The house is all shuttered up and we are very safe as the worst part of it will be a bit east of us near Ft Lauderdale, FL. Unfortunately, my Vero Beach house will probably take a direct hit.  It was built under the most strictest building codes so the structure should be fine. The wave heights worry me a bit, however, but supposedly it is not in a flood zone.  It's interesting with all the new technology how I can track the road traffic leaving the island, watch the storm from my security camera (as long as there is power and wifi), watch as each band hits the house via weather apps.  It's almost like being in Vero but staying safely away from it.

• Like 2

Thanks for your caring. We have our hurricane shutters up and did 2 neighbors homes as well. For now it is raining and windy but the worst is due tonight. This will be the 4th hurricane for us since moving to Sunny FL 17 years ago. I have cooked a lot of food from the freezer as we will surely loose power. But we have a big BBQ for cooking on once the worst is over. And hopefully our generator will work; we charged the battery but the diesel fuel is from 11 years ago!

We are 9 miles inland from the beach so we don't have to evacuate. Maybe I should cover my dollhouses with big garbage bags...just in case.

• Like 2

Now the news is that Matthew may swing back and hit the Florida coastline twice on account of Nicole. Hurricanes: reason # 5 not to live in Florida, after insects, alligators, sharks, and the heat. LOL

Yeah, for those not evacuating, be safe!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

We on the Gulf Coast have our fingers crossed, along with prayer for all y'all on the East Coast.  Our eldest son just evacuated his family from Charleston, SC, to Atlanta.

Good call. We just spoke to a cousin in Delray Beach. She says less damage than anticipated and beautiful blue sky right now (about 2:30 pm Fri their time). She's not opening the hurricane shutters yet, just in case Matthew comes back.

• Like 1

I live in the upstate of SC but my youngest sister lives 15 miles inland from Myrtle Beach.  She and her family can't leave as they have 18 dogs and a bunch of cats.  There isn't any place that can take that many animals so they are going to ride it out.  Please keep her and all her loved ones in your thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gayle said:

I live in the upstate of SC but my youngest sister lives 15 miles inland from Myrtle Beach.  She and her family can't leave as they have 18 dogs and a bunch of cats.  There isn't any place that can take that many animals so they are going to ride it out.  Please keep her and all her loved ones in your thoughts and prayers.

Oh, Gayle ... I hope all goes well with them. Our cousin in St. Augustine went to a shelter. We haven't heard if they have been able to get back to their home.

• Like 1