Victorian Chimneys

wormwoodz

7 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

These are styrene right? I've tried their products before and they are quite nice, my front door is made out of two bashed Grandt Line doors. Did the chimney come pre-cut and ready to assemble, or was it styrene sheets in brick pattern you could cut? My problem would be that I have already instaled the chimney structure, it is part of the house assembly, so something like this would need to be a perfect fit to cover the wood structure. Thanks for reminding me of their products, I had forgotten they also have eave brackets for this scale which is a bit hard to find.

I could go for a more 'smooth' looking brick as the textures I've tried so far look a bit off in scale, the sandpapper looks nice but the textures I've tried seamed more scaled for asphalt than masonry (at 1:24). I got 150 grit I think, for plaster/walls. The wood sandpapper I have here has a wave like pattern that doesn't look good in bricks :/

It is from their 1/2 scale line.  I have some of their doors and windows in my stash to use on my Elizabeth Ann.

The chimney comes in two pieces - halves.  They have to be glued together to form a square chimney.  So unfortunately I don't think they will work for what you need.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update, it's been a while since I've shared my progress on this dollhouse, I haven't stoped my work on this dollhouse... just been on a slower pace.

I want to thank everyone for the advice on the bricks! I've tried several of your sugestions:

- after saving some 'egg packages' I tried this method (which looks fantastic after painted!), however due to the scale of my bricks I ended up destroying plenty of material trying to paint... the small size of the bricks made it a bit dificult to work with;

- the sandpapper didn't have this problem so much, as it is a bit more resistant to water, but unfortunatelly I couldn't find a nice tiny size on the grain so it looked a bit off scale, more like asphalt texture than brick for 1:24, however I'd still recomend this for 1:12 it's very nice to work with!

- in the end I decided to go with clay for the bricks, the texture looks nice and was a bit easier to work with for very small bricks. I followed your sugestions for the grouting, thin cement mix without sand mixed with water and a bit of glue. Still working on the top of the chimney, I think I'll use the same method for the base/foundation.

So what do you think? Any sugestions on how to finish the bricks? Haven't glued the clay tops until I finish the surface under, for the chimney design I took inspiration from pictures of victorian houses online. The roof/shingles still a work in progress, ignore any fresh glue spots on the pic :x

fairfield_chimney_wip.jpg