I hate it when I can't get inspired

shamrockgirl18

I have a great many houses and scenes that need attention, but I'm having trouble getting inspired lately. I've been looking at alot of stuff online, trying to get ideas for new tutorials to try, or some small purchases that could enhance a dh and get me excited to work on it again, but something's just not clicking.:ermm:

What do you all do when you're stuck?

When I am not feeling the creative bug, I try to do "artistic maintenance" on what I already have. So, I try to add things to bookcases and drawers that may have been sitting empty, I maybe try to do window coverings since I usually leave those unfinished, I rearrange and or clean existing rooms...or organize the boxes of furniture I have - maybe exchange some things out...basically "curate" my museum of finished houses. Right now, I have wallpaper to sort and coordinate.

And then usually while I am doing that, I find some long unfinished thing or a great piece of furniture and get inspired again.

I've really tried to "work with what I have" during the slow times...it makes me appreciate my hoarded miniatures more.

• Like 3

I do what Jenn said. Those are some great ideas. 

I also clean and organize my minis and supplies, or go through my furniture kit drawers and pic a piece of furniture to work on, or get out the clay and work in some accessories. I find I can always get motivated by making some flowers :D

I also go "inspiration shopping" on Pinterest. :) 

• Like 2

I finished the travel trailer mid August and haven't done much since. I am becoming a die-hard Pinterest fan (probably not good but it does keep ideas circulating in the old gray cells). I think we have to give the creativity part of our brains a little rest and then, POOF!, all of a sudden we are going full speed ahead again. At least, that's the way I seem to work- I think my brain is puzzling out things subconsciously until I am ready.

• Like 3

I go through old home decoration magazines and look at real houses and rooms for ideas. Or I google whatever I need inspiration for, either something more specific like "staircase" or just fabrics, patterns, dyi tutorials, etc. Looking at other people's miniature creations is a big source of inspiration for me, even if it's something I haven't thought of doing it usually helps me feel motivated to get back to work or try something new.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dalesq said:

I do what Jenn said. Those are some great ideas. 

I also clean and organize my minis and supplies, or go through my furniture kit drawers and pic a piece of furniture to work on, or get out the clay and work in some accessories. I find I can always get motivated by making some flowers :D

I also go "inspiration shopping" on Pinterest. :) 

Yes, I tend to do this too. The other day, feeling frustrated, I went into the garage and organized some extra mini's I have on hand. I took a couple things out and put them in the Beetlejuice house I'm working on, but I don't really have anything great in my stash right now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

I go through old home decoration magazines and look at real houses and rooms for ideas. Or I google whatever I need inspiration for, either something more specific like "staircase" or just fabrics, patterns, dyi tutorials, etc. Looking at other people's miniature creations is a big source of inspiration for me, even if it's something I haven't thought of doing it usually helps me feel motivated to get back to work or try something new.

I was Googling like crazy a couple nights ago and I ended up finding a Beetlejuice Hallmark ornament. I was trying to find a nice Beetlejuice figurine that was less expensive than the $39 7" one I'd seen online, so I settled for the 4" ornament, and I hope he'll look OK in the house. I also hope when he arrives I'll feel inspired to work on that house more. It's one of my favorite films, but I just feel stuck lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Erin, are you doing the house after Lydia gets hold of it?

Lydia's bedroom is dark purple and black, like in the movie. The kitchen, living room, bathroom, and Adam's office ("Deliver me from LL Bean") are done the way the Maitlands decorated them, in a country farmhouse style.

But I'm going to put some funny stuff mixed in, like Delia's sculptures and the Handbook for the Recently Deceased. I'd love to make a sandworm monster coming out of the toilet or the bathtub, as well as some ghosts, like when Adam and Barbara put the sheets on and tried to be scary.

I do have alot of ideas for the house, I just haven't had enough time/motivation to work alot on it. Plus, I don't really have much in my stash right now, so I need to wait to buy some furniture and more accessories.

3 hours ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

I was Googling like crazy a couple nights ago and I ended up finding a Beetlejuice Hallmark ornament. I was trying to find a nice Beetlejuice figurine that was less expensive than the $39 7" one I'd seen online, so I settled for the 4" ornament, and I hope he'll look OK in the house. I also hope when he arrives I'll feel inspired to work on that house more. It's one of my favorite films, but I just feel stuck lately.

That's also one of my favorite films of all time and I love that you are doing a house inspired by it. It's a great idea for a dollhouse too, you can mix classic styles with modern pieces like Lydia's mom did with her artistic vision, lots of room for creativity there. 

The other day while browsing etsy I found this and your dollhouse came to my mind. It's a really interesting project and I hope you find inspiration to continue working on it, would really love to see it finished :)

• Like 2

I'd narrow what on going project I want to work on next, then research images of that kit and only that kit to get ideas of what other folks have done. 

I'd stare that project as if it's a TV.   Then I might make a small item for it.  I hope you'll get your groove back soon.  

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions. I did end up making a little Handbook for the Recently Deceased, and I put some new wallpaper in the kitchen. I also found some fan art online and printed it to put in little frames, and my Beetlejuice arrived today. He's kinda small for 1:12 scale, but I hope I can put him in a spot where it won't be too obvious. I put a couple new pics in my gallery  if anyone wants to see.

On 10/13/2016, 4:04:34, shamrockgirl18 said:

I am looking at that same $39 figure...... but I"m not sure if I want a 7 foot tall Beetlejuice hanging around.... he might scare the other dolls.

Along with all the other's advice of Pinterest and cleaning stuff, I also sometimes do random searches on Amazon and see what pops up. 

I also browse interior design magazines when I'm in Kinokuniya Bookworld. They have magazines from all over the world. Sometimes I see a beautiful room or an object in a room that reminds me of something I have lying around somewhere.

And sometimes..... just reading Greenleaf posts gets me inspired :clap:

• Like 1

I managed to get a few things done- thanks everyone for the ideas. I really depend on creative outlets (mini's being one of the main ones) to help stave off depression so when my creativity isn't flowing, I get worried that it's going to disappear for a while behind a cloud.

I find if I can keep it going even a tiny amount, it helps. :)

• Like 1