Hello From Canal Fulton, OH

Peggy

My name is Peggy Morneau and I am so glad to find this forum.  I live in Canal Fulton, Ohio which is between Canton and Akron, about an hour south of Cleveland.  My adult niece and I just built the Vermont by Real Good Toys.  It all started because her 6-year old granddaughter asked for a doll house for her birthday.  All we found in toy stores was plastic junk.  When we found the dollhouses at Hobby Lobby with a 40% coupon, away we went with our new project.  WOW!!   We had no idea what we were in for!  Since we had a deadline, we devoted ourselves to it, dedicated every day to it and got it done in 2 weeks --  just the basic build, no electric, but decorated and painted inside and out.  The roof was especially challenging but so proud of the way it turned out.

I think I've caught the dollhouse building bug.  This time, I want to slow down, take time to enjoy the process, and give more thought to decorating, etc.  My problem is I don't know the difference between the Greenleaf and Real Good Toys.  Would someone be kind enough to guide me about brands, things to consider, and what to avoid.  This is a Greenleaf Forum but I also see people discussing RGTs.  Does that mean the two are somehow connected?  You can tell I know absolutely nothing so anything you say will be helpful.  Thank you.

Welcome to the little family, Peggy.  Greenleaf and Real Good Toys are both companies that manufacture dollhouse kits.  Greenleaf also makes the Corona Concepts kits, as you will discover when you visit the Greenleaf home page:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/  I have not built any RGT kits, so I cannot speak to them, but some of our members have.  I love to build the Greenleaf kits.  I have also built some Dura-Craft dollhouse  kits, but they have been out of business for a while.  I also built a 1:24 scale hacienda kit that I got from Hobby Builders Supply, but I don't remember who made it.

I like to tweak the kits and change things.  The Greenleaf and Corona Concepts kits are made from thinner plywood, 1/8" and 3/16", respectively, so its fairly easy to cut new doorways, windows and walls.  You have already discovered that Real Good Toys uses thicker material, either plywood or medium density fiberboard/ MDF.  You and your niece might have used nails as well as glue to assemble your RGT kit.  Most Greenleaf kits can be built using only glue.  I reinforce mine with heavy duty steel staples, because I tend to manhandle mine during the decorating process.  I can guarantee that the thinner wood makes into very nice, sturdy houses.

Clicking on my avatar will take you to my profile page where you can click on "albums" to see some of the Greenleaf kits I have built.  You can go to any member's albums that way to see what they have built, including RGT, Dura-Craft, or any of the many other  kits that are still around, even if no longer being made.

• Like 1

First of all welcome. RGT is a high quality brand made with 3/4" MDF or cabinet grade plywood. Less prep work is involved with this product. Their products are generally a box with some design limitations.  Greenleaf and Corona are affiliated with each other.  These products are more affordable and are made using a thinner 1/8" wood. The thinner wood offers more design options however more prep and assembly time is required.

• Like 1

Thank you both so much for your helpful replies.  I will look on your profiles and study awhile before I decide what to try next.  I have already seen some amazing houses here.  Some are just breathtakingly beautiful.  Thanks again.

Welcome Peggy!

I totaly agree with you, here at toy stores we have the same problem, either they are 100% cheap plastic or really flimsy wood structures that I don't look like they'll last many years. The good quality assembled ones are crazy expensive, so building your own ends up being the best option, I would have done the same ;) And really nice it lead you to this hobby, hope you will have plenty of fun on your next project! 

Hi !! Welcome! :wave: from another Ohioan, I have done greenleaf and duracraft. Bith nice. i found duracraft had a bit more fancy bits but tended to be more construction oriented.  With dura being out of business, you have to really be careful before cutting any pieces. Sometimes you can still find other companies comparable parts. Myself, I want to try a RGT but the cost scares me a bit. I keep looking for a bargain, :p

Thanks All and to Thresadep, I got my RGT Vermont at Hobby Lobby.  It was on sale and Hobby Lobby had an additional 40% coupon so it cost me about $70.00.  From what I see, it looks like I got a great bargain.  Hobby Lobby always has a coupon and is posted on line.

Welcome to the group Peggy. I'm a little behind in reading the forums, so I'm late in greeting you.

We'd love to see photos of the house you built, you have enough posts to start an album!

I see that everyone has already given you great advice about the difference between RGT and Greenleaf/Corona. I've built both brands, as well as a few others, and don't have a preference. I guess it all depends on finding the house you just "have" to have!

Remember, we are all here to help, no matter which house you choose, and if you have a problem, there will probably be someone on here who has already figured it out, so just ask!

• 4 weeks later...