Seller sitting on a goldmine

shannonc60

I have that book; the "windows" are printed on a somewhat sleazy vellum (or imitation).  No real glass or gold leaf, unless someone has already begun to color them.   Even if so, no way would there be enough to make a USED copy worth $800+ USD; much less $1300+ USD for a new copy.

• Like 1

I looked on ebay and they had real stained glass windows in the same price range !!

If you go directly to his [Lucky's] storefront the prices are - $8.27 used & $23.36 new ???

14 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

I looked on ebay and they had real stained glass windows in the same price range !!

If you go directly to his [Lucky's] storefront the prices are - $8.27 used & $23.36 new ??? 

So, can we assume a typo or sloppy data entry? It happens.

Some used books really do command a high price. I know many of the children's books I read as a child are difficult to find now, especially when they're out of print. I tried to get a couple of them on eBay and I got deterred by the $80 to $100+ price tag that people are willing to bid for them. I know some libraries have taken Albert Payson Terhune's collie books off the shelves because they get stolen and then resold on eBay for sometimes a high price. However, that stained glass book isn't exactly one of the rare one, as far as I can tell.

2 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

...Perhaps they do it to raise interest and get you to look at their store...

I never thought of that Shannon - well - they did generate some interest with us didn't they! :hmm:

On 10/20/2016, 12:39:47, rodentraiser said:

Some used books really do command a high price. I know many of the children's books I read as a child are difficult to find now, especially when they're out of print. I tried to get a couple of them on eBay and I got deterred by the $80 to $100+ price tag that people are willing to bid for them. I know some libraries have taken Albert Payson Terhune's collie books off the shelves because they get stolen and then resold on eBay for sometimes a high price. However, that stained glass book isn't exactly one of the rare one, as far as I can tell.

I actually had much better luck with used children's books on Amazon via their 3rd party dealers. Almost all were $1 plus $4 shipping. For a book that was hard to find on ebay at low prices, I was happy to pay $5 for nostalgia. It was great because I have family members who kept our original childhood books and they were amazed I had a copy...in better shape and for a lot less than they expected.

Kelly with your interest in Breyer horses - did you ever read this book as a kid? https://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Pony-Walter-Farley/dp/0760721920

It was a favorite at my house. I got a used copy for $4. 

On 10/20/2016, 1:39:47, rodentraiser said:

Some used books really do command a high price. I know many of the children's books I read as a child are difficult to find now, especially when they're out of print.

Yes, when I would go to the library as a youngster, I loved to read the little picture book Elizabeth by Liesel Moak Skorpen; I see used copies on Amazon for almost $100 now.