Newbie from Oz

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. New member here. :wave:

So I've been lurking about for a while but didn't join because I'm building a non-Greenleaf :eek: dollhouse. But then I noticed the Dura-craft section. :) I bought a Dura-craft San Franciscan 557 on Ebay... haha.. where else! It's my first house and I'm already totally obsessed. I really wanted a Greenleaf Garfield but I thought I might be biting off more than I can chew given my current skill set.... Might of bitten off more than I can chew with the SF 557 too!:rofl:

I'm totally inspired by all of your builds.. the gallery is a wonderful resource.

Thanks Thresadep... Do you have a gallery I could check out? I'd love to see your house. The 555 is actually my favourite of the San Franciscans, but I couldn't find one when I was buying. :/

Welcome Samantha! :wave:  I rehabbed a 557 San Fran not too long ago and loved it....although it surely did give me plenty of frustration on those windows!  LOL Half of the window frames were missing, so I had to cut my own, and other parts were missing as well - but lucky for me one of the members here on the forum had parts on hand that she was willing to send to me.  :)  

I read thru your blog - and oh did I ever sympathize with the wall part that was milled backwards! Glad to see that you were able to do some problem solving and forge on!  Hope all continues to go well and we all look forward to watching your progress.

19 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Samantha.  The SF555 was my first-ever kits, built & given to the eldest granddaughter before I ever discovered the internet, or any mini forums.

Thanks Holly! :wave: I don't know how I'd cope without the internet as a resource! You're a brave woman!

2 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Welcome Samantha! :wave:  I rehabbed a 557 San Fran not too long ago and loved it....although it surely did give me plenty of frustration on those windows!  LOL Half of the window frames were missing, so I had to cut my own, and other parts were missing as well - but lucky for me one of the members here on the forum had parts on hand that she was willing to send to me.  :)  

I read thru your blog - and oh did I ever sympathize with the wall part that was milled backwards! Glad to see that you were able to do some problem solving and forge on!  Hope all continues to go well and we all look forward to watching your progress.

Hi Jackie! Thanks for the welcome. Ugh, those windows... I spent most of yesterday afternoon painting the first coat of primer on the second and third floor windows and they just sucked up the paint.. I see many coats in my future.. :eek:.. Sooo many windows!! :doh:

Thanks for taking a look at my blog.. it's in it's infancy but hopefully I'll start getting to the good stuff soon. :)

I have the first floor windows made up, but are yet to install them... looking forward to that... said no one ever! :rofl:

My "magic" words have so far been reserved for trying to get my paint swollen parts with rebates to fit where they are supposed to. I had to have a do-over of the sidewalls into the first floor and the second floor bay window walls are killing me right now! Everything is a bit warped and nothing is straight so I guess this will truely be like an old house where nothing is square. :dunno:

My gallery has pics. In fact, just finished it.  Not sure about the other San Frans but the 555 needs to be flush or the other parts don't fit properly. Mine was not flush so my roof and windows had to be tweaked.  Spackle helped me fill in any gaps.    The construction is very trying but in the end, it's a great learning process.  

On 10/25/2016, 10:44:18, thresadep said:

My gallery has pics. In fact, just finished it.  Not sure about the other San Frans but the 555 needs to be flush or the other parts don't fit properly. Mine was not flush so my roof and windows had to be tweaked.  Spackle helped me fill in any gaps.    The construction is very trying but in the end, it's a great learning process.  

I had a look at your gallery Thresa. Your San Fran looks beautiful!. I love the 555 the most but I'm kind of glad I don't have to build those walls... lol

On 10/25/2016, 10:43:34, havanaholly said:

In having our master bathroom redone I have learned that's also true of our 8-year old house!

Wow... that's not great! :eek:

My house is 136 years old and very wonky.. but that's to be expected.. if I was 136 I'd be wonky too!:ohyeah:

8 however, is a bit early to be wonky... :/ As long as you don't have any foundation issues just think of it as *character*. :)

On 10/26/2016, 8:19:29, L Swearengin said:

San Franciscan was my second build in a time long long ago.  By the time I finished it......there was no dought it belonged in an earthquake prone region......LOL. Not plumb in anyway shape or form.   Guess that's why I wasn't devastated when the grandkids demolished it.

Yikes! After all the work I'm putting into this thing, if someone demolishes it, I may need the men in white coats to come and get me. I'll need a nice padded cell to bang my head against. :bangin:

Edited by Samusa

23 hours ago, Samusa said:

I had a look at your gallery Thresa. Your San Fran looks beautiful!. I love the 555 the most but I'm kind of glad I don't have to build those walls... lol

Thanks! I made some mistakes but that's ok. I went with it. 

• 3 weeks later...