The Orchid

Peggy

Just staying in touch to say that I opened the Orchid and have pondered it a few days.  My first house was the RGT Vermont which was challenging.  The Orchid is beyond challenging.  Without seeing the pictures of completed ones here on the Forum I would think it was impossible.  It all seems so flimsy compared to the RGT.  How everyone turned them into the master pieces I see here is just beyond me at the moment.  I wanted to do a dry fit of the complete house but that doesn't even look possible. As I study the pieces and instructions, it seems some pieces are missing, too, but they may show themselves as I move along.  For now, I spend more time looking at everyone else's creations than I do trying to do my own.  Wish I could sit with some of you one on one to see just how you do your amazing stuff!

• Like 1

Peggy, dear, I wish you lived close enough to come play with me in my workshop, and we would get your Orchid into dry fit (provided we find all of its pieces) and you could take long, loving looks at all of my Greenleaf builds just to see how sturdy all that "flimsy" wood is.  I have exactly one house that was built of thicker wood, my 1:24 hacienda, and I don't think it's any sturdier than my two 1:24 Faifields.  In addition to the wood Orchid I built for the Team Orchid building blog I have another one I found in a thrift store falling apart (it was built with hot glue) that I will eventually take all apart with a heat gun, scrape off all the hot glue, and rebuild it properly with carpenter wood glue; and one of the limited edition plastic versions of the Orchid:

the front exterior

That "flimsy" wood argument is one I hear from miniature shop employees who don't & won't carry the Greenleaf kits.