new in doll house

rome

couple of weeks ago I got a doolhouse for my bday , and i am planing to play with my grand daughter for couple of year until my daughter let me take it to her house.

the house i purchase is victorian painted lady it is assemble and exterior painted. now it is in my living room waiting for next step which I think is the lights and fixture. is there anybody that can help me to find how my plan is to make it easy for my 6 yr old baby to light to house at once.

any advise. 

marleny

Are you wanting advice for your 6 year-old to add lighting to the house?   If that is what you mean...that's an adult job. Lighting kits are not cheap and definitely can't imagine a 6 year-old doing it. Plus you are dealing with electricity.

Do a search here for doll house lighting.  If you want to make it easy for her to turn on and off the lights, then maybe a way to use switches or a tab to turn off / on.?   Might look into a Google search kid friendly lighting for dollhouse. 

Just did a quick search..what about using Christmas lights? 

When I was a child the dollhouse I had had a Christmas tree white light/ small appliance-type bulb installed over the stairway with the cord routed along the upstairs ceiling nd through  small hole in the side, and if I wanted to turn on the light (rarely) I had to position the house near a wall outlet to play with it.  I don't wire the houses I build now, since I build for ME.

I mean not to have my 6yr old grand daughter  to do the electrical part, but to make easier for her to play in future years and only use on/off. I don't know if there is a class for adult

in Tampa/fl area if anybody knows please let me know.

tks

Marleny

I don't recall there being any actual brick-and-mortar dollhouse shops in Tampa, but I may be wrong.....otherwise, doing a search for dollhouse lighting may bring best results.  Perhaps one of our Florida members could direct you to a local miniaturist that could help you out? 

When I build or rehab for a young child, I generally only install a single dome ceiling fixture in each room.  These lights sit close to the ceiling, so there is less chance of the child knocking it down while reaching in the house during play.  I still usually put the tapewire along the base of each room and install a couple of outlets, figuring that plug-in lights can be added as the child grows older.   And I think the little switches on the lead-in wire is easy for anyone to operate...but the power cord still would need to be plugged in by an adult!

oh- and maybe you can check out some dollhouse miniature show & sales in your neighborhood!  Venice, FL January 14-15, and Sarasota, FL March 4.  :)

You can add a tapewire or roundwire circuit. Tapewire would maybe be easier as it requires less modifications to the structure if it's already assembled and built. Here is an easy to follow guide for tapewire. 

As for the easy on/off switch, I'm sure there are switches availiable for dollhouses that can be attached to the tapewire circuit. If you have trouble finding one of those, I found a simple sollution that doesn't require me to plug/unplug anything and can be used with any extension cord or wall socket. My circuit switch is located under my dollhouse, it was easier to hide but annoying to operate as I have to lift the house, so I bought one of these plugs with an on/off switch and connected the transformer to it. Now everytime I want to turn on the lights I just have to flip the switch on the plug. 

• Like 1

There was a YouTube which I can no longer find that was perfect for you.  Tapewire now, draw a diagram of the tapewire layout or take pictures of each room. Years from now you can attach a junction splice and a cord with a switch to the transformer and plug your lights directly into the wall. Very easy solution.

HI EVERYBODY AND TKS FOR ALL YOUR INFO .HAVANAHOLLY TKS A LOT I WHEN LAST FRIDAY TO ORLANDO ON THE WAY TO VISIT MY GRAND BABY FOR HALLOWEEN AND STOP BY RON'S MINIATURE WHAT A STORE IT IS AMAZING LOTS OF THINGS AND RICHARD HELP ME A LOT TO UNDERSTAND THE ELECTRICAL PART AND WHERE TO START HE WAS WITH

ME LIKE AN HOUR . NOW I AM PRIMER THE HOUSE HE ADVISE FOR FLORIDA WEATHER IS BEST THE HARD WIRE. AND EXPLAIN IN DETAILS I AM GOING BACK NEXT 11/8/16 I AM BABY SITING MY BABY. 

• Like 1

Hi Marleny 

You may like to consider LED lights since it's primarily for your 6 year old granddaughter. I am certainly no expert as I am just about t start my first build. There is no wiring as it's powered by a battery within the light. On my search for my own house I found a lovely little australian site that sells LEDs http://www.amazingminiatures.com.au (in 1:12 scale) and I'm sure there is something similar where you're from!

Good luck with your lighting installation!

Scott : - )

• Like 1

Thank you Scott. 

I when back to Orlando this weekend  since I visit our baby again and stop by Ron's place I have a few?? and I have decide to go for the Hardwired  since Florida is very humid and will be better this method. This is my very very first project on everything painting, wallpaper, lights ect ect I had never done this before in my life.  so I am very excited and very happy to find a great group like this. It will take me some time but I am not in a hurry.

Marleny

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rome said:

I am very excited and very happy to find a great group like this. It will take me some time but I am not in a hurry.

Marleny

Hi Marleny, and welcome to the forum! That's exactly the right attitude. You'll have a great experience. There are a whole lot of folks here who are eager to share their experiences with you, so when you are challenged, feel free to ask questions.