Electrical advice?

MC

You'd think I could wire a dollhouse if I can teach 4th graders how to build series and parallel circuits along with electromagnets and how to make a light with a dill pickle, but the brass brad have me beat.  I've gone through  nearly 100 brads and only have 3 junctions created.  They represent nearly 6 hours of work.  Any tips on getting those brads into basswood walls?

l started with the requisite dollhouse tools:  1/8" brass brads, tape wire, pilot hole punch, brad placement tool,small brass hammer, transformer, junction splice, and lead-in wire. Got the junction slice in and working, but from then on it's been more frustration than the presidential election!   Brads bend, fall out of tool, won't go in-- so I moved up to tiny needle nose pliers.  Brads bend, fall out of pliers, won't go in-- so I tried using a push pin for pilot holes and that worked a bit better, and I got one junction done.  Then had difficulty with next one.  Started using larger hammer with mixed success.  Have tried small drill hole--creates a loose fit of brad.  Tried holding brad with fine tweezers, and the brads bend worse.    

I know it should get easier with practice, but 6 hours seems like it should produce  about a junction every 30-45 minutes.  Am I being unrealistic? How long should it take?  My husband thinks a larger single brad should work.  I have 3/8 " brass plated brads which will work without puncturing the walls, but they are brass plated.  What has worked for you? What advice can you share?  I built full size kitchen cabinets with less frustration, and you really can light  up a dill pickle.

soooooooo..... I do not use electrics in my houses for a variety of reasons....and your issue would be one of them...

I have no advice...but I do have information not many remember to pass on...

at this time you can buy almost every light fixture that is wired into a house in a battery form....this means you can turn on each light as you wish...

the price is comparable to the ones which require wiring....

you can find a selection at Miniatures.com but I bet they can be found elsewhere as well....

as for your current issues...Im sure someone with better luck then I will post soon...good luck! it is nice when the house has that soft glow...but in my world...it comes with a price and Ill just spend it on the battery lights...lol....

• Like 1

When using brads, I clamp the head of the brad in the tip of needle-nose pliers with the "stem" of the brad and its sharp little point aiming ahead and push it right into the wood. That was back in the day. I've pretty much switched to a combo of round wire and tape, with the round wires being soldered to the tape.

I use a combination of both eyelets and brads, though eyelets are my preference. If you know how to solder, I would suggest doing so with either as it will allow a better electrical connection without issues of the brads or eyelets working out of the tapewire.

53 minutes ago, minikelli said:

I use a combination of both eyelets and brads, though eyelets are my preference. If you know how to solder, I would suggest doing so with either as it will allow a better electrical connection without issues of the brads or eyelets working out of the tapewire.

I can't solder for beans so I use clear packing tape to not only hold them in place but to also keep the salty humid Florida air out which corrodes the brass. 

All I can say is I feel your pain.  I wired and rewired and partially rewired my Beacon Hill.  It now has battery lights. 

Next Thursday I am taking an all day wiring class being offerd at the Philadelphia Miniaturia, hoping to learn how to do this properly.  I will definitley pass along any useful tips.

• Like 1

There are some great tutorials on youtube that you might find helpful.  I also had problems with brads until I bought a special tool for starting the holes.  Since then it's been great!  I also recently saw a tutorial with eyelets and solder, which I am going to try on my next project.  My houses are a combination of tape wire and battery operated lights.

You can also run the single outlet wires under your baseboards and plug them all in to a little power strip thing, which looked pretty easy for front-opening houses.  Check youtube, and good luck from someone who has been in similar shoes with those pesky brads.  ;0)

15 hours ago, Mimajo said:

All I can say is I feel your pain.  I wired and rewired and partially rewired my Beacon Hill.  It now has battery lights. 

Next Thursday I am taking an all day wiring class being offerd at the Philadelphia Miniaturia, hoping to learn how to do this properly.  I will definitley pass along any useful tips.

I wanted to take that class SO badly!  But I just couldn't take the extra day off from work (going on vacation the following week!).  blargh.   Maybe they will offer it next year!?

On 10/28/2016, 12:41:59, jbnmini said:

I wanted to take that class SO badly!  But I just couldn't take the extra day off from work (going on vacation the following week!).  blargh.   Maybe they will offer it next year!?

They had it last year also, so I would guess, they will have it again.  It filled up pretty fast.  I will be missing the show this year, we are going on vacation next Saturday.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎03‎:‎43‎, Mimajo said:

They had it last year also, so I would guess, they will have it again.  It filled up pretty fast.  I will be missing the show this year, we are going on vacation next Saturday.

Hope so!   And we are leaving for vacation as well---but hubby said we can leave on Sunday so that I can go to the show!  :D 

57 minutes ago, Shakyshaky said:

Hey guys, a couple of people have mentioned using the battery operated lights. Were they the led ones and what did you use to attach the back plate to the wall? 

Do you have a picture? So many different LED's out there.

1 hour ago, Shakyshaky said:

It would seem my picture size is too big and I can't make it any smaller. They are just the battery led lights from hobby lobby. 

If you are referring to the box which holds the batteries and the switch....I made a false compartment to hold the battery pack and then carved out a hole so I could turn on and off the switch from outside the compartment. I've used up my picture allotment so I can post pictures, sorry.

18 minutes ago, Shakyshaky said:

Oh that's easy. It has a sticky backing on it. Half the time that doesn't work well so a clear glue like E3000 will work well. A dab of glue and tape it on to hold it until dry.

FYI- those are not LED lights. They will be much dimmer than LED.