Embossed brick or stone or tile

mesp2k

58150b3bab6cb_brickinv.png.953c559f83872

Has anyone ever inkjet printed a pattern of brick or stone on paper then used embossing powder/heat gun to texture it?

...clear embossing powder could be used over a color printout.  Use a grey colored paper as the mortar or whatever color you want.

Brick-Paver-Patterns5.jpg

Create tile too?

ZoomImageHerbaceous-grey-11441381799.jpg

If the printed pattern is spotty or grainy I think it would create a rough texture?

...would have to use the right kind of paper & probably hi-res image for heavier ink output?

You could coat it with a mat finish?

It sounds doable, if the ink stays wet enough. I've done similar things with print outs and clear embossing inks in pens to make tiles before.

If you want the grout lines to be lower than the bricks/tiles, though, you would have to make them white so the printer wouldn't print them.

25 minutes ago, kathi17 said:

If you want the grout lines to be lower than the bricks/tiles, though, you would have to make them white so the printer wouldn't print them.

Exactly Kathie 3d-thumb-up.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

So when you try this, do show us the results.

Yes I shall, Holly :)

I thought maybe someone had already tried it... 

I feel like I've asked about this before, but the subject was stained glass windows - we had a whole discussion on it?? :hmm:

...I must be get'n old...

I'm old too, because I found it interesting. I think I made my faux tiles to decorate a box I sold in my shop, but it might have been a tray. It was years ago. I used clear embossing ink and colored it over parts of the "tile". The embossing did try to level itself out, but had a slight bumpyness to it because I didn't heat it long enough to make it smooth.

• Like 1

I don't have any clear embossing powder or money, but I do have vinegar, future floor polish & water?!

Apparently clear embossing powder can be made at home: [technical alert]  Click

Splitcoast Stampers: (In reference to the inkjet paper/ink)  "I've had the best results using a very light coating of workable spray fixative. It prevents the ink from soaking into the paper just long enough to get the embossing powder on there." 

Artfully Musing, Laura Carson

Tutorial - Creating a Stained Glass Look by Embossing Transparency Film

embossed.jpg