Love hate relationship

Marian

I have a love hate relationship with this house. Has anyone had a build like this or is it just me? I doubt I will do any more of these RGT  houses. I just find them so heavy and not sure the exact words. The greenleaf houses seem to be more forgiving and easier to handle. I've broken my right arm four times and I just find these houses heavy.I'll finish this house, it isn't I don't like it ,it's just a thorn in my side. I've added photos in a file on my profile. 

My next build I like is the travel trailer by greenleaf.

You have an MDF house, which is why its heavy, and MDF takes some getting used to with regard to paint, nails, electric . 

Some of the RGT models are of 3/8 inch wood and much easier to work with. I built a Newport which was MDF, my first build, and felt the same way you do, but i now only build with the 3/8 wood kits.

Search on this board for MDF to get some tips on working with it. Good luck!

• Like 1

sigh!!....I refer to the Marquham Hill Mansion as an Albatross or Albie for short....10 yrs Ive had this thing mocking me....

never wanted to build it but the daughter wanted THIS house... if I werent soo stubborn about it I would have sent it on its way years ago...

• Like 1

I had a giant front-opening RGT house...loved the idea of it (all that room!) but in the end it was just a giant MDF cabinet. I realized I like to decorate around more architectural details, windows to let light through, nooks and crannies to fill. Preferably built and finished by someone else. :-)

• Like 1

I despise MDF and I LOVE Greenleaf & Corona Concepts thinner plywood to work with!  I have broken/ smashed the proximal end of my right ulna three different times (I walk with a cane for balance issues; tired of falling & landing on my right elbow), so I don't have any use for a dollhouse too heavy for me to lift & carry.

• Like 1

Is it just the weight of the house that is a problem? I've never handled an MDF house so I have no idea how heavy they are.

I tend to think of dollhouses more like a piece of furniture than a decorative object, specially the larger ones, and I'm a big fan of cabinet dollhouses even thou I don't own one. I've seen some people instal rotating devices to the base of larger dollhosues for easier handling, like a sort of 'turntable' that can be moved in both directions. Even my small dollhouse started to get really heavy towards completion, to make it easier to rotate it while working I've placed it on top of an old gaming table with a movable top.

• Like 1

I play with my dollhouses (not like I did when I was a little girl, but I do like to fiddle around with all the tiny people & furniture) and I like to set them about.  I dislike MDF because it doesn't seem to handle or finish as nicely as wood, and the one item I did make from MDF seems as though it was much heavier to handle than a comparable build of the same thickness of wood.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On Tue Nov 01 2016 08:15:20 GMT-0500, Marian said:

I have a love hate relationship with this house. Has anyone had a build like this or is it just me? I doubt I will do any more of these RGT  houses. I just find them so heavy and not sure the exact words. The greenleaf houses seem to be more forgiving and easier to handle. I've broken my right arm four times and I just find these houses heavy.I'll finish this house, it isn't I don't like it ,it's just a thorn in my side. I've added photos in a file on my profile. 

My next build I like is the travel trailer by greenleaf.

I want to do the travel trailer next too! But I've just started the RGT Beachouse Bungalow. Have not even unboxed as I have been purchasing paint, some new tools, a scroll saw   ( Yippee!) and some materials needed to reconfigure the front wall and add a bay window. I have an immune system disorder that causes hyper joint mobility and have had multiple fractures myself. My hands and shoulder flair constantly. I actually quit crafting for a long time because I lost so much dexterity in my hands. But, crafting is really my true passion and so when I decided to select a new hobby dollhouses were the perfect fit. I have always loved miniatures and I'm known for my attention to tiny details. All of this to say that I hope the RGT Bungalow doesn't cause me to have issues similar to what you're experiencing. I know it's hard living with a lifetime of symptoms from previous injuries. Just be proud you're keeping on keeping on! That takes determination. Good luck to you as you finish your current house and begin the travel trailer. I'd love to see pics! Happy Housing! Amber B. 

Edited by Littlebirdieb
Auto correct error

I'm bashing the Beachside to look more like the classic Bungalow. I'm doing this to model the home we are renovating. I'll enclose a pic of the front and sides of our reno. We are having dormers added. The last image of the garden window will not be added to the Bungalow but I had to share as it was a special addition when we had the windows replaced. I cannot wait for both of my houses to be complete! Will keep you updated on progress of each one! 

20160928_132059.jpg

20170121_100424.jpg

20170126_111718.jpg

20170126_111505.jpg

Edited by Littlebirdieb

2 minutes ago, Littlebirdieb said:

I'm bashing the Beachside to look more like the classic Bungalow. I'm doing this to model the home we are renovating. I'll enclose a pic of the front and sides of our reno. We are having dormers added. The last image of the garden window will not be added to the Bungalow but I had to share as it was a special addition when we had the windows replaced. I cannot wait for both of my houses to be complete! Will keep you updated on progress of each one! 

20160928_132059.jpg

20170121_100424.jpg

20170126_111718.jpg

20170126_111505.jpg

Don't you just love the curved architecture over the entrance. I've been trying to think of ways to create it. I'm thinking half of a Styrofoam cup covered in long matches to recreate the bead board. There are also original French doors inside. Those will definitely be added to the Bungalow! 

6 hours ago, Littlebirdieb said:

Don't you just love the curved architecture over the entrance. I've been trying to think of ways to create it. I'm thinking half of a Styrofoam cup covered in long matches to recreate the bead board. There are also original French doors inside. Those will definitely be added to the Bungalow! 

I don't suggest the styrofoam cup.  Wrong angle, it will always want to bounce back to original shape, glues melt styrofoam, etc. 

Take a look at my soaker tub. The arch is made with a sheet of thin balsa, soak it in water, form and rubber band it around a bottle or jar or anything that relates to the curve that you want. Let it dry in a dry space for a few days. I applied drywall compound and sanded to get a smooth finish.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=121689

53 minutes ago, Sable said:

I don't suggest the styrofoam cup.  Wrong angle, it will always want to bounce back to original shape, glues melt styrofoam, etc. 

Take a look at my soaker tub. The arch is made with a sheet of thin balsa, soak it in water, form and rubber band it around a bottle or jar or anything that relates to the curve that you want. Let it dry in a dry space for a few days. I applied drywall compound and sanded to get a smooth finish.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=121689

Great idea. Thank you! 

Amber, I love that house you're remodeling!

I also chose wood over MDF. But I think the big thing is I also downsized my houses a little. I bought the Front Opening Victorian and bashed it and now I have a basement to go with it. With the front opening house (named Bramble and no longer front opening), I find I can't actually heft it, but I can slide it over to my bed or off the cabinet if I need to. And I don't think I'm going to attach the basement to it permanently. That keeps it doable for me.