gratitude for people's kindness

shamrockgirl18

Last Saturday, our 4 month old kitten was hit by a car. We got her from a farm (she's from generations of barn cats) to be a mouser, but we quickly found that she wasn't going to be a typical loner, barn cat. She's far too affectionate and loves to snuggle. Anyways, she does go out alot during the day (she is a good hunter, and has been helping with the mouse population that rural homes often deal with) but she stays in at night.

Last Friday she slipped out when my husband went to get some firewood. We figured she'd be home for dinner, but he tried numerous times to call her in and she never came home. The next morning she still hadn't shown up, so he went looking for her. He found her on the side of the road, obviously having been hit by a car. We rushed her to the vet and she survived, but her hips and both of her back legs are broken in multiple places. We didn't want to euthanize her if it was possible for her to recover and go on to have a good quality of life, but the surgery was very expensive. We set up a GoFundMe page, and we are overwhelmed with gratitude of our families, friends, friend-of-friends, and even some complete strangers and anonymous donations.

Just when I start to feel very cynical about the world/my life, I get an opportunity to see how giving and good people can be. I just wanted to share this story with you all in case anyone else is in need of having faith in humanity restored.

• Like 6

It really breaks my heart when animals get accidentaly hit by a car and the driver doesn't stop and try to help the poor thing imediately. I'm glad you got to her on time and managed to get help for her treatment, there is a lot of kindness in this world, even often from complete strangers.

• Like 2

She's a black cat, and being so young she's very small. I am hoping that the driver of the car didn't see her and assumed they hit a bump or something else. I'd like to think if they knew they hit a cat, they'd stop, but I know that doesn't always happen.

When I was a teen, I was out on a casual little drive (having only had my license for a little while) and a car in front of me hit a cat that ran out in the road- that car didn't stop. It was a sunny, summer afternoon, and they swerved so they must've seen it, and they still didn't stop. I stopped, and when I went over to the cat, I actually saw the light leave its eyes. I will never forget it. I went to the nearest house and waited on the doorstop for someone to come home to make sure they wouldn't find their pet like that. The cat turned out to be feral, but the homeowner took care of it, so I still like to think the poor thing got a little bit of dignity.

We are so grateful that we found our little Nina before it was too late.

I am so glad your little kitty survived.  I hope she makes a full recovery and is back to kitten antics soon.  It's terrible when people don't stop after injuring an animal, but I'm so glad people are helping out so that she can get the surgery she needs.  We have a black cat (indoor only, but she does try to slip out every once in awhile), and I would be devastated if anything happened to her.

• Like 1

Wow, bringing a tear to my eye! That's such an amazing story. I am a massive animal fan, I loved my little dog as my child and so glad to hear that even though it was a lot of money, you went ahead with the surgery, and that others were kind enough to help you out. I donate to a particular charity in Australia that helps provide vet surgery to those who can't afford it (amongst other things). Thanks for making my night.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My avatar here is a pic of the light of my life, Master Koko.  He came into my life when I was pretty much sleepwalking after my mother passed ten years ago and after I'd had to put down a cat I'd shared my life with for 16 years.  Two months after she had gone, I woke up one morning and realized with Mom gone and Kiki gone, why was I even getting up?  Walked over to a pet shop across the highway and there was Koko, being boarded and up for adoption.  He had been rescued from a cat hoarder's house (50-60 starving, fighting, diseased cats where he'd been born and managed to survive about two years.  He went to a no-kill shelter where he stayed a year and was transformed from a feral savage beast into the utterly sweet boy he is and had just been put up for adoption when I took him home.

He's a late middle aged gent now who no longer parties out in the fields all night, rarely brings in "take out" food anymore, but is slim, healthy, sleek and when it's his time I will mourn him as one of the best friends I've ever had.

Our non-human companions matter and deserve our highest care; to hit one of them and leave that being to die by a road deserves only contempt.

Shamrock, I am deeply heartened by the kindness of those who helped you and your little friend.  May she live a long life - I know she will be treasured.

• Like 3

Thank you again, everyone who responded here. This has been a rough season for me, for many reasons. 

I am happy to report that Nina is doing fantastic! She had a check-up recently at the vet, and got out all the stitches and staples. She still has the metal brace that's holding her leg bones together, but that will be coming off later this month.

Although it's a much bigger cost than we were prepared for, we know we did the right thing by opting for the surgeries rather than euthanizing her. She has such a sweet temperament, and she adores our son John (almost 2 yrs old). She always wants to snuggle with him, and she always wants to sleep right next to him.

• Like 3