Shingle Recommendation for the Garfield

Dreamer14

54 minutes ago, Hooknink said:

So you can paint it? I like the look of the top one. Are there any tutorials about this that you know of?

If you are referring to Holly's Lozenge design, I did that on my current house. I found it very difficult to do. You have to crisscross each row in perfect angles. Very difficult to keep the lines straight. 

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=120519

Very beginner question:

Is there a general measurement that most people follow when spacing shingles? Or do people just wing it? (Perfectionist of me is really overthinking all of this) I really just want to get going, but am not sure the appropriate steps to get started with shingling. / :

I usually lay the flat-edged shingle even with or just barely over the bottom edge of the roof and mark the top edge to draw my first line.  After that I lay the shingle for the second course so it laps the first line between 1/3 & 1/4 of its length, depending on how I think it will look, and continue on up.  I haven't done it, but I like Sable's idea of running a skinny strip of scrapwood along the bottom edge of the roof to give that first row of shingles a more realistic lift.

The first row is generally two rows of shingles so you can set the slope. 

Row1-lay a row of tiles sideways/horizontally so that the first row is 1/2 a tile in height.

Still Row 1-lay your full tiles up right/vertically completely covering the first row of half tiles. This sets the slope for the remaining coarses

Row 2-lay tiles covering 1/2 of the first row's tiles.

Butt all of your tiles closely together. Alternate the rows.  The first row starts with a full tile, the second with a half tile, third full, fourth half and so on.

i made a board to use as a spacer. It is the length of a row and the width of 1/2 of a tile. This way I can double check that each row is straight, even and level.

• Like 1