Another House Discontinued

RGT came out with a 'quick-build' house in September. The title in the email said "NEW QuickBuild Imagination House Dollhouse Kit".

Also, they recently moved from their original building that had a storefront to another building that doesn't. Maybe that's part of what's going on.

Well, they also seem to have retired the Newbury and the New Orleans. Those were two kits that came from Batrie along with the Bostonian and the Newport, and were still made with the walls sliding down between wood channels. It could simply be that with two different kinds of manufacturing, RGT just found it less expensive to discontinue that mode of manufacture and therefore the kits.

The other houses that seem to be retired are the Houseworks front opening Victorian and the smaller Bungalow. I'm surprised they haven't discontinued that modern ranch house. There doesn't seem to be a lot of call for that one.

It's so sad. I remember in the early 90's there were two shops that are no longer in business (and haven't been for some time). One was in part of a woman's home. Every time I pass that area, I think of going into that shop -  it was like entering a magic place.   

• Like 1

Man, I am so glad I have the New Orleans kit here and in the queue!  I have the Beachside Bungalow, too, but I am hesitant to go back to MDF again after the ease/pleasure of working with Greenleaf kits. It is sad to me how things in the miniature world are changing! 100% of what I buy now is through websites. Just no local stores near me any longer. I do my part vigorously and often to keep the mini economy moving! I can't help myself! Hopefully this only means that RGT is moving on to bigger and better things!

I was at my favorite store in San Antonio last week.  They told me all their (RGT) houses are no longer made in the US.  The store in San Antonio is starting their own line of dollhouse kits. I had an up close look at their prototypes.  No MDF, but thicker wood than the louan.  I couldn't buy one, but am happy they are going to try and have made in USA houses.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, smjsome said:

I have always anted to go to the San Antonio store !!!!  

It's awesome!!!!.  One trip I will take them up on their offer to spend the day helping the ladies on their builds.  They are too sweet.  They loved the "Lisa sofa"  I finished on my trip.  Hopefully she will get more orders on her kit.   "One inch minis".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2016, 1:36:04, L Swearengin said:

It's awesome!!!!.  One trip I will take them up on their offer to spend the day helping the ladies on their builds.  They are too sweet.  They loved the "Lisa sofa"  I finished on my trip.  Hopefully she will get more orders on her kit.   "One inch minis".

What store is this in San Antonio? I take trips there once in awhile and would love to go to a dollhouse or mini store!