creativity as an anti-depressant

shamrockgirl18

I suffered from depression many years ago after a tragic event. What snapped me out of it after five years was a great therapist who said to me, "OK, so you've decided to spend the rest of your life reliving an event that took seconds to occur?"  It wasn't until then that I realized how much energy I had wasted. Within a month I was off all meds and was able to move on. Now, I rarely take anything too seriously. And I refuse to ever be in that kind of pain ever again! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I also figured out I didn't have to let any other person or event have that much control over my life.

I know- my husband has expressed similar thoughts and I'm sure my therapist will too next time I see him. But a huge part of depression is self-loathing, and when something like this happens it sets off a whole chain of negative thoughts, like "Well you thought you were doing something good but you were wrong- why can't you ever do anything right?- nobody wants to spend their time with someone so stupid, etc." and it's hard to escape.

I know at some point I will realize that this event is not going to dominate my life and is a tiny sliver of my overall life, but it's not always a quick trip to that point.

But at least today I did something little for the Beetlejuice house- that's something.

• Like 3

Erin, I do know that particular demon (should say I did know it).  One day I came to the realization that there are some people who are so twisted inside they cannot function without trying to make others as miserable as they are, and life is too short and too much fun to let them spoil it for you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

Now I am dreading going to work tomorrow. I had been working on my Fairy Library as a surprise for her/the library (to keep on permanent display) and now trying to finish that project just isn't fun anymore.

No law says you can't put the Fairy Library hiatus and work on something else for a while. Hopefully this kerfuffle with your co-worker will be short-lived and your enthusiasm for the project will return.

Stuck my head in the sand to just take a break. We have Trumpists in Canada too, so no way can we be complacent. As a feminist, a First Nations and a woman, I am a target for Canadian Trumpists. That being said, anything creative can both help with mental health issues (music and art therapies are both recognized forms of valid treatment), and serve as early warning. If you lose the desire to  create and you are normally creative....that can be a sign something is wrong, and it is time to seek help. Creativity is also a form of self care. It doesnt matter if it is minis, painting, photography or cross stitch. Creativity is the spark that can keep us going, serve to protest, give beauty to our surroundings and inspire us.

We must all stand against what is happening in not just your country, but world wide, or it is 1933 all over again.

hugs to all.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, me-barbie said:

If you lose the desire to  create and you are normally creative....that can be a sign something is wrong, and it is time to seek help. Creativity is also a form of self care. It doesnt matter if it is minis, painting, photography or cross stitch. Creativity is the spark that can keep us going, serve to protest, give beauty to our surroundings and inspire us.

Yeah it's no fun when that spark fizzles out. If I am a little depressed, then I know that doing something creative will help. It's not going to solve the problem, but at least it will make me feel better. When it gets so bad that I don't even want to try to feel better, I know it's bad. I know eventually it will fade, and my desire to be creative always returns, it's just rough when I'm stuck in a dark place with nothing to light it up. 

11 minutes ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

...I know eventually it will fade, and my desire to be creative always returns, it's just rough when I'm stuck in a dark place with nothing to light it up. 

This is when it helps to have a counselor, even if it's a trusted friend, to talk to.  In addition to helping you regain perspective, it will shed some rays of happy light.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

This is when it helps to have a counselor, even if it's a trusted friend, to talk to.  In addition to helping you regain perspective, it will shed some rays of happy light.

I agree. I am fortunate to have a wonderful husband, and he was very helpful when I talked to him about what happened, and the thought process that it triggered. I'm also grateful to have good health insurance, which allows me to see a therapist when I need to. he has also been very helpful, specifically in helping me manage depression.

On 11/13/2016, 8:11:15, Sable said:

I suffered from depression many years ago after a tragic event. What snapped me out of it after five years was a great therapist who said to me, "OK, so you've decided to spend the rest of your life reliving an event that took seconds to occur?"  It wasn't until then that I realized how much energy I had wasted. Within a month I was off all meds and was able to move on. Now, I rarely take anything too seriously. And I refuse to ever be in that kind of pain ever again! 

Yes, sometimes an outside observer is very helpful.

When I told my husband about all this, he immediately jumped to my defense. I appreciated that of course, but when I talked about it w/ my therapist, he asked "So, when did being angry and upset with your co-worker turn into all the other stuff? (some things I had written re: my thought process/self-loathing spiral)" and I honestly didn't know.

So I've been thinking on it ever since.

On 11/11/2016, 6:12:50, CraftyMtnMom said:

In April of 2015, my former fiance/DD's dad, passed away completely unexpected. Totally blew us all out of the water and nearly destroyed me and DD. At the time he passed, I was working on Sherman Arthur's Camper and I lost complete interest and still can't get back to it. Though, I have gotten back to making miniatures and small houses. I just can't find the interest in the camper now.

I can't imagine how painful that must have been. I'm glad to hear that you got back to the mini hobby, even if that camper isn't ready to be finished yet.

On 11/11/2016, 9:48:39, Amber Celeste said:

...also it's interesting to see that you suffer from hypothyroidism as well.  I was recently diagnosed with that too.

Yeah, I think it's one of those disorders that's been diagnosed more frequently in the past decade or so. Many people develop it in adulthood, but mine was diagnosed when I was a toddler.

I know that undiagnosed depression often comes with depression, but mine is long diagnosed and treated. But I'm sure if my synthroid dosage isn't quite right, it could contribute to any depression that might be developing. It's sometimes a pain to keep up with the blood tests and TSH and med dosage, but I try to remind myself that there are many people out there who would trade more serious health issues for an underactive thyroid gland.

On 11/11/2016, 10:04:17, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

It is awesome that you reached out, Erin! There are so many of us out here that struggle with anxiety/depression every day. We need to reach out and be here for each other - it really does help to know that people know exactly how you feel. For me, planning a new project always helps. If I have any $$ I start by buying something for it, and if not I just start looking at photos and making a new folder for ideas on the computer. I hope you find something good that you can focus on right now. I'm sending love and hugs to you now and every day sfter!

Thank you. I don't talk about my issues w/ depression to anyone except my husband (and therapist); even my real-life friends don't really know about it (unless maybe they've guessed). But I felt like posting here would be helpful, and it has been.

I like your idea about planning new projects! Planning new ones is always a fun part for me, and I have so many ideas right now, I just need to find a dh or other vessel to start one of them with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

Yeah, I think it's one of those disorders that's been diagnosed more frequently in the past decade or so. Many people develop it in adulthood, but mine was diagnosed when I was a toddler.

I know that undiagnosed depression often comes with depression, but mine is long diagnosed and treated. But I'm sure if my synthroid dosage isn't quite right, it could contribute to any depression that might be developing. It's sometimes a pain to keep up with the blood tests and TSH and med dosage, but I try to remind myself that there are many people out there who would trade more serious health issues for an underactive thyroid gland.

I relieved when I finally found out that's what it was.  I was having problems for a long time and saw several doctors who just thought I was a hypochondriac!  Still getting my dosage worked out, it will be interesting to see if it helps at all with my depression. 

I hope things are going better for you!!! :)

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016, 8:23:12, havanaholly said:

Felices cumpleanos, Carmen!  y muchos mas

Gracias Holly! I finally finished the Imagination house, and I am back working hard on the Greys River house.It is the largest project I have done so far, and it has been quite a challenge in many ways. I am still changing details, but I think it is coming to life pretty good. I know, I know....pictures. Haven't have time to take any yet...Will come soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I had depression for a long time. About two years ago it got a lot worse. I decided to keep myself busy and distracted so that those thoughts would not come pouring inside and make me weak with grief. I love doing interior design on a small scale. Whenever I feel crushed I go about cleaning the house. Always find something that you enjoy doing. I am currently in the process of renovating my living room. I came across some coffee tables ( http://www.surplusfurniture.com/en/ottawa/livingroom/coffee-tables/1/ ). I am thinking of getting the old one replaced. Taking a walk in the garden also helps in soothing my nerves and keep my anxiety levels in check.

• 3 weeks later...

I've struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life. I used to put my creativity into painting but when I found my passion for creating miniatures, it just fit. I'm currently on hiatus from medication due to a change of doctors. Creating small worlds that I can imagine stories for eased my symptoms just enough. However, there are some days where I have no motivation at all to work on anything creative. I try to tell myself that it's okay to take a break when the juices aren't flowing. Though, personally, NOT working on minis enough gives me anxiety (like if I have to go to class or work when I'd rather be working on things). In that case, I usually do a small kit or a paper craft to just complete something so that I feel accomplished.

It's okay to step back sometimes just focus on yourself. The minis will always be there when you want to return. If you ever want to talk, let me know :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...