Have you used puff paint?

Luanne

Hi guys,

Tonight I finally found  fabric puff paint at Michael's.  I see folks here using them successfully on cookies for decorations. 

I bought a small white color bottle. My hope is can add pastel chalk to change colors of the paint later.  I am testing it out on some scrap clay and fabric. It's 3D. It takes 4 hours to dry. 

Have you tested out puff paint or any new products recently? How did it go? 

L

I've used puff paint straight out of the bottle using the syringe-like tip to form dots or lines, which are crisp and clean. I used it to pipe icing onto mini gingerbread houses.

The paint is so thick that I'd hesitate to try to squeeze some into a little container to try to color it. I'd wonder how to apply it for a nice, even look to retain the 3-D quality. I'm not sure it would work well with a brush. Maybe a toothpick? But if a nice, crisp even look isn't necessary, then ...

Or did I misread your post and you mean to change the color after the paint has dried?

Once again, my go-to suggestion is to experiment and let us know how it works out for you. :)  

Holly, I would have loved to see that cake. It sounds adorable.

Kathie, I agree about experimenting.

Luanne, if you experiment, you might try a small syringe to direct the paint where you want it. Not sure, but you may be able to get one from your pharmacist. I got mine from a vet and it didn't come with a needle (Thankfully). It is small and doesn't hold much, but it is fairly easy to use. I have been using mine to apply glue. Just be sure to wash it out after you are done. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Vicki, it was a DIY from either one of the miniature magazines or from Small Stuff, and if it didn't go off in one of the donated houses it's still rattling around somewhere.  I was heart broken that it was too large to fit in my little glass cake keeper, even before the puffy paint.

Thank you guys- I was going to add chalk to the pain and apply the colored paint with a toothpick. 

The applicator for this bottle is pointy.  But I do have a new syringe, no needle, from our vet as well. :) 

Holly- that cake does sound cute. 

Something I like much better than puff paint is Liquid Pearls. I use them a lot on my greeting cards, and they are much nicer than the puff paint I've tried. They come in a lot of colors, but to get the colors you want, you might have to order them on line, The big box stores only sell them in sets of three, and they only carry a few colors.

Kathi- Liquid Pearl sound similar to Puff paint but gives more color choices.  Silly question, is it only pearl color ( shiny/ metallic) or are there normal matte no glitter as well? I couldn't tell by the pictures. 

Erin- wow you are giving me great ideas- Thanks so much. 

Hi Luanne, I think the liquid pearls are only in pearlescent colors. They are really made so you can have any size or color of pearls on greeting cards. I found them to be much less apt to flatten out than the puff paint. They seem to be firmer when dry, but if you are looking for flat or matte colors, they may not be what you want. (Of course if they become popular for other crafts besides paper crafts, (such as using for fake frosting), maybe the company would listen to our requests!