How to strip coated wires on dollhouse lighting?

abigaille

Hello,

I have some miniature lights that have bare wire that has some sort of coating on it to insulate. So it's not a sheath I can strip off.  So if I cut the wire, how do I remove the coating so it can make contact? I've attached some pictures of the light I have. 

DSCN1797 copy.jpg

Edited by abigaille

These kits indicate to "burn" off the insulation, but I've never found that easy to do without making the wires brittle.  I use a sharp X-Acto and gently scrape away until you get shiny copper.  You have to be thorough and scrape all around the wire.  It's tedious, but it does work with some effort.

Sanding before you cut it might be easier than trying to sand a floppy end piece. I'm envisioning running the section to be cut back and forth over a rotating Dremel sanding drum and then cutting it when the wire is clean. 

19 minutes ago, Luanne said:

Can you pinch off the plastic with your finger nails? This was the preferred method for the white plastic wires on most mini lights. 

15 hours ago, abigaille said:

Hello,

I have some miniature lights that have bare wire that has some sort of coating on it to insulate. So it's not a sheath I can strip off.  So if I cut the wire, how do I remove the coating so it can make contact? I've attached some pictures of the light I have. 

DSCN1797 copy.jpg

I think the point of the post is that the covering isn't a plastic you can pinch off & strip; more like a coating that needs to be removed by burning which Brae has done & observed that it makes the wires brittle)  or abrasion.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Does the heat from the soldering iron not make the wires brittle?

So far, I haven't had any problems with either the larger wire on the regular LEDS, or the wires on the nano chip lights, which are about the diameter of a human hair!

• 2 years later...