How to finish MDF siding? I would like to satin

Naninni

The glues used in MDF may prevent staining.

Search for this recipe, it gives the wood a nice silvery brown tan aged look depending on the wood that is used: Tea, vinegar and steel wool. 

I search the MDF siding. I don't think it would stain well.  

20 hours ago, Naninni said:

I have purchased an Earth & Tree "Dixiville" build & would like to apply MDF siding. Can that type do siding be stained to look like old, weathered siding?

Is there some reason you can't use wood siding, siding strips or cardstock strips for siding, and paint it to look old & weathered?

I have to disagree with the comments that MDF won't stain. I have painted/stained MDF with waterbased paints and never had any problems. If you want to make your own paint/stain mix, you can use an acrylic craft or artists paint in your colour choice and mix it with some retarder, extender or gel medium. About 1:1 ratio, but experiment first to see what you like. You could also use a clear acrylic sealer first (Jo Sonja makes one) to seal the MDF before staining, then when dry, lightly sand. This will give you a smoother surface once you have used your stain.

9 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

I have to disagree with the comments that MDF won't stain. I have painted/stained MDF with waterbased paints and never had any problems. If you want to make your own paint/stain mix, you can use an acrylic craft or artists paint in your colour choice and mix it with some retarder, extender or gel medium. About 1:1 ratio, but experiment first to see what you like. You could also use a clear acrylic sealer first (Jo Sonja makes one) to seal the MDF before staining, then when dry, lightly sand. This will give you a smoother surface once you have used your stain.

Paint works perfectly well as a stain on MDF because it covers the glue. But wood stains, like Minwax, will come out spotted because they will not soak into the glue, only into the wood bits.