Billy's Church begins!

musicinabottle

On Oct 12th, we lost our little boy, Billy, who was my soul mate. In his memory, and to provide a safe sacred spot for his ashes, I have decided to build him a 1:18 scale turn of the 20th century church, based on a very small farm and logging  community church in my area called "The Little church of the wildwood". I give more details about Billy in another thread here, but this thread is going to deal with the nuts and bolts of Billy's church build. Tonight, I hit Ben Franklin for some Basswood. Tomorrow I'll be cutting material for the floor framing, which every detail of this church will be constructed as if it were a regular building, borrowing from my long construction career. The scale that I'm utilizing will be 1:18th scale. The floor framing will be machined out of some very nice Alder from a cabinet shop I worked in for awhile. I decided on Alder for the floor framing because it will largely be hidden within the building and I'm going to be processing it on my large table saw as much as I can. I will be putting up photos as I go along and please feel free to comment and give pointers as I document this project, which is going to take some time and a great deal of patience.  Please stand by.....

Edited by musicinabottle

• 2 months later...

I'm so sorry for the delay folks and friends. Not long ago, shortly after Billy passed away, my mother slipped and broke her hip and was hospitalized a few weeks before my parents were to celebrate their 61st wedding anniversary.  3 days after their 61st anniversary, my mother came home and passed away from complications due to kidney failure. She was 80. I got started on the church build largely forming up my materials and still designing, but it might be a bit longer before construction actually begins.

001.jpg

01-12-2011%20095824AM[1].jpg

020 (1).jpg

Oh Christopher, I'm so sorry for your loss.. you certainly have had a challenging time. 

What great photos! Your Mum looks so cool! I'm sure you and your Dad have hearts full of wonderful memories.

Thank you so much! I always thought these two were immortal and my mom was my best friend as a kid growing up. The photos of my mom were over 11 years before I was born! It will take me awhile, but I will be starting up on Billy's church here soon.