After 27 years--the dollhouse is finished!

25yearsinthemaking

On 2/26/2017, 1:33:18, UK Sharon said:

Oh my gosh. That is exactly my story. My son and I went to a doll house making class for a few weeks 27 years ago.  Got the house built. Not sure what style you would call it. He got sick and passed away. Now I'm getting ready to finish with the help of my two grand daughters. Yours is beautiful. I am looking for an easy way to do roofing. 

Sharon - how nice that you will finish the house! What an interesting story - I look forward to hearing more and seeing pics of your house. Welcome.

• Like 1

Sharon--Thanks so much for sharing your story. One of the things I enjoyed in building the house was the chance to exercise problem-solving skills. When I did the roof, I just used the shingles that came with the kit, dyeing them first. In putting on the shingles, I discovered that using a transparent T-square really helped with keeping the shingles straight. I don't know what I would have done without it.

Stunning colors!  I do similar when deciding colors. Also I buy the paint samples at Lowe's. Great price and plenty of paint to last. 

On a side note...havannaholly...corrugated cardboard for roof! Great idea.  I have a stockpile of egg cartons now I'm add this too. Lol 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

IMO making things is a lot more fun than buying them.

Making or buying ... both fun in my book! :D  When I see something that would be perfect, exhibits great craftsmanship, scale, and style, and is definitely above my skill level, I'm happy to pay an artisan for his or her talent. 

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

...something that would be perfect, exhibits great craftsmanship, scale, and style, and is definitely above my skill level, I'm happy to pay an artisan for his or her talent. 

True, true, true!

Well, this story gives me hope!  My poor Artply Barrington has been waiting patiently to get finished for probably the same amount of time - if not more!  I did have it almost done (except for that blasted porch roof!) when we downsized/moved 12 years ago.  It then sat in storage for most of those 12 years, during which a family of mice decided to move in!!  Yech!  So needless to say, all of the carpeting had to go...and since I was tearing things out, I might as well fix some of those mistakes I made when I was a newbie at building.  So here it is several years later and I haven't gotten any further.  I am taking a break from client houses next year, so I hope to begin working on it again soon!

8 hours ago, MiniMaven said:

Nice! I don't have a crafty bone in my body, so I must resort to buying. Share pics of what you end up making for your dollhouse!

Except for the crib in the attic and three Michael's hutches I used in the parlor, bedroom and the kitchen & bathroom (the latter is two halves of a single hutch) I made all the rest of the furniture from kits (the bed, dresser & ironing board) or scratch:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7565

Almost all of the furniture and all of the dolls in 1:24  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=3404

If you click on my avatar and go to my profile page and click on "albums" you will see what I get up to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Except for the crib in the attic and three Michael's hutches I used in the parlor, bedroom and the kitchen & bathroom (the latter is two halves of a single hutch) I made all the rest of the furniture from kits (the bed, dresser & ironing board) or scratch:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7565

Almost all of the furniture and all of the dolls in 1:24  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=3404

If you click on my avatar and go to my profile page and click on "albums" you will see what I get up to.

That's awsome! How long have you been doing this?

• 2 weeks later...