Furniture

13 posts in this topic

As I am a Snowbird, now in our winter home in Florida, I had to leave the Pierce dollhouse that I was working on back north in Canada. I've not been idle however :) I thought I would work on some furnishings to inspire me when I return to the main construction in the spring. Here is a baby crib I've just completed. I still have to dress it, but I thought I would share what I've done so far.  

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

1 person likes this

What an elegant design for a baby crib. What company makes it?

It is a beauty.   Show us more as you make more.  I like the idea of making furniture rather than buying ready made but so far have only made a simple bed.  

1 person likes this

I made it myself KathieB.  The headboard and footboard was a wooden Christmas ornament that I bought at Michael's and cut in half. The legs are made from square wooden beads that I bought at a dollar store. I had to sand off the letters but it was fairly easy. I had some channel rail left from what I purchased to build a staircase and the dowels were purchased at Michael's.

Edited by Lise A

I also thought at first it was a kit!  What a clever use of those laser cut wooden ornaments!  Where did you snowbirds land?  Looks like a condo, rather than a RV in the background (I live near the Gulf Cost, an love it when our snowbirds begin to flock!).  I also love to make my own furniture.

1 person likes this

Havanaholly,I'm in a 55+ mobile home park in Winter Haven Florida. We purchased this home three years ago and it is one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Another great decision was to open up that old dollhouse box.  Luckily this home is rather small so cleaning doesn't encroach too far into my time dedicated to my new "mini"  passion.

You are in a lovely part of the state, and have Ron's Miniatures within shopping distance!   *sigh*

i was almost born in Winter Haven.  I love all of the lakes up there. I live in south Florida. If you are still around in March take a day trip to our miniature show in Boca Raton.

1 person likes this

There are some nice rivers to paddle, too.

8 hours ago, Lise A said:

I made it myself KathieB.  The headboard and footboard was a wooden Christmas ornament that I bought at Michael's and cut in half. The legs are made from square wooden beads that I bought at a dollar store. I had to sand off the letters but it was fairly easy. I had some channel rail left from what I purchased to build a staircase and the dowels were purchased at Michael's.

I'm impressed, Lise! What a wonderful eye you have for repurposing materials. :) 

Sable, send me the dates, I would love to go. Although I do have a cruise booked out of Miami i March so it may not be in the cards this year :)

45 minutes ago, Lise A said:

Sable, send me the dates, I would love to go. Although I do have a cruise booked out of Miami i March so it may not be in the cards this year :)

March 11, 2017

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Porcelain doll blanks available
      By WyckedWood
      I have a few porcelain castings I can offer this morning. I’m going to the post office this afternoon so these could be shipped out today. Private message me for details. 
      Unpainted, unassembled porcelain bisque dolls are the most economical way to add beautiful porcelain dolls of artist quality to your dollhouse scenes. Paint them with acrylics yourself. Costume them in good quality cotton or silks, add a viscose fiber hairdo and you have a creation and family heirloom you can be very proud of.  There are links, tutorials, patterns etc. available online.
      My dolls are cast by me in high quality French Bisque colored porcelain slip which is formulated specifically for doll quality. I take great care in cleaning the greenware for a quality piece, firing them once in my kiln at what is known as a soft fire temperature then I go through the process of cleaning them again and kiln fire one more time to bisque temperature,over 2000 degrees. They are then polished, carefully packaged and sent to you quickly. 
      This is Maisy, an elderly woman who could be cast in the role of anything from Mrs. Claus to flower seller or sophisticated shopper. She has a very sweet, kindly face. I can offer choice of shoes, from work boot suitable for gardening or the Edwardian strappy heel, or a Georgian style heel. Her hands are cast from a really neat elderly hands mold. I can also offer a white gloved arm if you prefer. 
      Hallie is my other casting available, she is a gorgeous doll and quite easy to paint.  I can also offer her with the arms shown here, a different hand shape or the beautiful white porcelain gloved arm. 
      If you need the visual of what these dolls look like painted, check the mold makers website Cynthia Howe Miniatures. 
      Thanks for looking and do let me know if there’s anything you’re looking for porcelain doll wise, I’d love to help. 
      Karin

• Dolls, dolls, dolls!
      By WyckedWood
      I’m clearing off my work table to make room for dollhouse Christmas projects I’ve got going. I have a few offerings, all unassembled, some unpainted, some carefully china painted. Assembly instructions will be included. Assembly is done with simple materials like pipe cleaners, cotton balls, super glue and tacky glue. These make a really fun do-it-yourself project and it’s an affordable way to add beautiful dolls to your dollhouse.  These are porcelain dolls in 1:12 scale, cast, cleaned and fired, some are painted, by me. The china painted dolls undergo a meticulous process of 5 to 7 trips thru the kiln at temperatures that are high enough to set the paint permanently. Unpainted dolls can be painted with acrylics, chalks and even powders from your own makeup. Any questions, just ask. Scroll down because I’m going to put these in separate posts just to keep the descriptions orderly. 

First offering is a beautiful doll that is unpainted, porcelain bisque. She is known as Milady and her original sculpt was created by a well known doll artist named Paulette Stinson. Shown are two examples from the artist of a costumed Milady and the bisque I’m offering today. She would make a beautiful bride, she’s smiling and has darling dimples. I can offer her with your choice of two different style of arms, long white porcelain gloved arms, or plain hands. Both sets of arms are well formed to hold an item in the hands, like a book or bridal bouquet. I also have two different choices for shoes, one, a petite heeled shoe and the other a Georgian heel. Either could be painted or covered over with silk ribbon if desired. She is customized in her greenware stage, I put her on a nice Cynthia Howe designed long torso. 

• Not sure where to put this but ordered the cutest villa
      By asherah
      I bought this villa! I've been looking at these kits for awhile and decided to get one! https://www.ebay.com/itm/253586790267  I hope it's not too hard I know the directions are in chinese... Someone on the site has a paris shop I think it was. They are such cute kits.
      amanda
    • My way to make mini pans, pots and dishes.
      By KHTRE
      Today I have made a lovely pan and pot for my dollhouse. They are made of brass and copper. Maybe someone will be interested in my method.

• Porcelain doll blank available. June bride?
      By WyckedWood
      I have a few extras from my recent firings. This doll is called Lucinda, by mold maker Marie Wheat. Cast, cleaned, fired and polished by myself. She would stand 5.5 inches when put together with pipe cleaners and cotton wrap. I send instructions for that process or there are many online tutorials for assembling I can direct you to. 
      This offering is for an unassembled, unpainted, polished porcelain doll. For the do it yourself Miniaturist. Her eyes are big and I found her one of the easiest to paint, from all of the dolls I've painted so far. She can be painted with acrylics. 
      She comes with beautifully shaped hands (the same hands I used with my Marie Antoinette doll) that have the ablility to hold items or trays, etc. or how about making a June bride with flower bouquet? 
      The finished doll photo is an example of Lucinda used for advertisement, doll costume is by artist Paulette Stinson. Marie Wheat made an entire bridal pattern book just for Lucinda, called Lucinda and Toms Wedding. Very vintage book and I'm not certain of its availability. 

* as a free gift included, Ill also send a half head, you can use it to practice painting or as a ghost head in mirror scene or greenwoman wall hanging etc..