Going to repaint the wood on a miniature couch any suggestions/tips?

abigaille

Hello,

I love this couch, but the wood color is hideous! I want a deep walnut color, not red. But this looks really tricky as all the upholstery is white, any little mistake and it'll be ruined. The only thing I can think of to do is to use painters tape to tape off the fabric and then just VERY carefully paint the wood bits. I also included a picture of me testing two different paint types on the bottom. The acrylic came out horrible, but the Testers enamel looks ok, but enamel is hard to work with.  Anyways, just seeing if anyone has done this, and had any suggestions. 

DSCN1822 copy.jpg

DSCN1827 copy.jpg

DSCN1828 copy.jpg

The cloth looks to be panels glued in place. Is there any chance of removing them while painting? A thin eXacto or similar blade wiggled behind them? A little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun to soften glue? I'd experiment on a corner of the  the back panel to see if I could lift it up at all.

Also, I'd do a light sanding to cut through the current finish so the underlying wood will take color better, and then I'd try using a stain pen instead of paint. I think there would be less bleeding under the tape as the felt tip of the pen wouldn't put out as much liquid as a brush.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amber Celeste said:

If you do decide to go the strip and stain route, I have been using furniture touch-up markers to stain my miniature projects and they work great!

That is what I meant by stain pens in my comment above. They are great.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Aren't the stain pens refillable?

Not intended to be refillable by the manufacturer, but yes, it can be done. Use tweezers to pull out the felt tip of the stain pen/touch-up marker and use a syringe to refill the well. Plastic gloves recommended.

So it does look like those are all panels that could be pulled off. What type of glue would you suggest to glue the panels back on? They are really stuck on there good. 

Also, what brand of stain pen do you guys recommend? 

Edited by abigaille

22 hours ago, Amber Celeste said:

If you do decide to go the strip and stain route, I have been using furniture touch-up markers to stain my miniature projects and they work great!

I like the idea of using a marker for staining mini wood projects.  After staining, do you apply a satin finish sealer?

39 minutes ago, Cathy C said:

I like the idea of using a marker for staining mini wood projects.  After staining, do you apply a satin finish sealer?

It depends on the look I want. Often rubbing with a crumpled piece of brown paper bag will raise a nice, soft sheen that's not too shiny.

On 11/29/2016, 8:57:34, KathieB said:

The only brand of stain pens I've seen are Minwax. 

I am just using some cheap ones that were in the hardware section of our local grocery store.  They just say furniture touch-up pens on them, the Min wax ones are nicer I'm sure though!

1 hour ago, Amber Celeste said:

I am just using some cheap ones that were in the hardware section of our local grocery store.  They just say furniture touch-up pens on them, the Min wax ones are nicer I'm sure though!

I'm glad to know there are alternatives. I'll have to look for them. Thanks for the heads up.