Do you sign your dollhouses?

Amber Celeste

I just painted the bottom of the first floor of my dollhouse (when I was finishing the floor it warped and I thought maybe painting the underside would help, it didn't but whatever! :P).  I was thinking about signing it with my name, the house model and the year.  I am not the type to get terribly attached to things I make and this house, if it's nice enough will be sold or just donated to Goodwill when I'm done.  I thought it would be nice to put my mark on it though. :) Curious if anyone else signs or has a special "trademark" they use on their houses.

I thought I'd continue something I started when I made the San Fran. I blocked off that little area in the attic that was over the double bay window and before I did, I put a little picture of Garfield wishing for a new home in there. No one's ever going to know it's there, but maybe one day when the house is dismantled and rehabbed, someone will find it. I think in this next house I'm going to try to hide some mini money or mini newspapers in the walls, like under the stairs, or something.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I think in this next house I'm going to try to hide some mini money or mini newspapers in the walls, like under the stairs, or something.

I love this idea! :pepper:

I've never signed a house but it is a good idea and will do in the future - what I've done is to make a scrapbook for each house I've built, with pictures of the box it came it, pictures of construction, and pictures of the finished house with details about items in each room.  Also in the scrapbook are receipts for items purchased, paint samples, fabric and wallpaper samples, and so on.  I've kept all my houses so far.

• Like 2

I've signed most of my houses, didn't sign the first I made for my niece. However, each of my donation houses I've signed and the ones I've rehabbed I try to sign and date when they were "fixed up". Kelly, love that idea of hiding something in there as well!

15 hours ago, Sable said:

One house had a long history to it so I typed it up and attached an envelope to the bottom.  The rest I sign and date.

That is so great to pass the story on to the next owner.  I have many family heirlooms that I wish I knew the story behind!

14 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I thought I'd continue something I started when I made the San Fran. I blocked off that little area in the attic that was over the double bay window and before I did, I put a little picture of Garfield wishing for a new home in there. No one's ever going to know it's there, but maybe one day when the house is dismantled and rehabbed, someone will find it. I think in this next house I'm going to try to hide some mini money or mini newspapers in the walls, like under the stairs, or something.

I really like the idea of hiding treasures in dollhouses!  When we remodeled our old house in RL we found pennies in the wall from the year it was built and I hid some in our new house walls too (though the builders might not have left them there). :)

13 hours ago, jdodyd said:

I've never signed a house but it is a good idea and will do in the future - what I've done is to make a scrapbook for each house I've built, with pictures of the box it came it, pictures of construction, and pictures of the finished house with details about items in each room.  Also in the scrapbook are receipts for items purchased, paint samples, fabric and wallpaper samples, and so on.  I've kept all my houses so far.

You are so organized! :) My husband thinks I'll change my mid and want to keep mine too!  I'm really enjoying the process of building it!

21 hours ago, jdodyd said:

Great idea Joy!

I sign and date my houses and since I began selling them I've have added my city and state as well. :) 

I do like the idea of taping an envelope with all the info to a house!

when I lived in NM I bought a very old RL adobe, and one of the owners did extensive remodeling, she left behind binder with information, from receipts for work done, to newspaper clippings of an artist who painted a mural on the outside wall.  It was great!

• Like 1

This is cool. I have never thought about signing the dh. My mother and grandmother were both knitters and had tags made for their creations (we called my grandmother "Naana" so her tag said "this is a Naana Knit"). I think signing it shows that the house was built with love by a real person. Thank you for the great idea.

• Like 1

I sign mine with a logo from my initials, but not sure anyone would recognize who it was later. Unless, of course, I become magnificently famous (won't happen in this lifetime!).  But when I rehabbed my beloved Appleby Cottage, that was 100 years old and hand made, I keep looking for, and hoping to find, a signature - a date - anything to give a clue as to who made it and when.  I would love to know the real history of that house!

• Like 1

I sign my houses with my name date and my trademark wink/smile....if its a gift I will right a sweet note and add their name... I also include a paper book of the build for them...will it stay with the house over time...probly not but at least the recipient has the photos

I love the idea. I have not done anything like this yet, but my hofco house came with a paper that was like the title of the house so you could sign and date it with room to add people if it was handed down (or sold). I think I might do that with the others I am keeping. I know my daughter will appreciate that.