Brand newbie needing advice please!

16 posts in this topic

Hi y'all! I'm really just looking for guidance, if possible. I know nothing about dollhouses or miniatures, but I recently found my old childhood dollhouse from the 1970's and don't have a clue what to do with any of it. I'm very sentimental, so I can't just toss it, but I need to find out about how to go about selling it, and selling the furniture. It was a kit, all wood, with a bunch of furniture (made in Korea?)...Is it intrusive to upload a few pictures to see if anyone here could point me in the right direction? Thank you so much for any help! Oh...I'm Kim and in Marietta, GA...GWp8CkKgn0P2wxiLBOycJxApH_cHsUqgUubvgnIob9uLJhxKSQlBk0STUNNAZ9iYsjWNwUtpIQEmauwM

Welcome, Kim.  It's too bad you don't want to finish the house for yourself.  There is a trading post section of the forum; if you choose to use it, please read over & follow the guidelines for its use.

1 person likes this

It is a lovely house. So much potentional. May I ask the dimensions?  Is it 1" scale or 1/6"? 

See if you can find out the manufacturer and model name. We have some great detectives here who may be able to assist with this.

Your first try should be Craigslist. Then eBay. You could donate it to Goodwill. Take advantage of Christmas shoppers, now. If you are interested in what I think you should price it at, please private message me using the envelope above.

1 person likes this

The exterior looks like a Walmer Old Town house, an expanded version of the one I have. Your has added width and the second floor balcony. However, the interior walls and floors are thicker than my Walmer.  Mine was meant to be a kit that could be dismantled. Maybe yours is an older version.  

Here is mine after I applied real stone and new Windows.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=6726

1 person likes this

Thank you for replying! I would LOVE to keep it and finish it, however, I don't have anywhere to store it, and, realistically, it would likely end up being one of those "someday" projects that never get done. I'm an interior design student, and a metalsmith. Making jewelry is my passion and gets any free time I find. My mom just said it was built when she bought it, aside from the shingles. So, it may not be a kit after all, but it must have been copied from the Walmer. I remember the shop so well. I used to love buying the furniture and accessories there. The furniture is all antique style, dark wood, great details and in near perfect condition. And some brass beds, toys, pots and pans, plates, candle sticks...should I try to sell it? Sable, I would love to private message you, but don't see an envelope. I'll keep looking though! I am going to re wallpaper it though, and want to do some type of floor...I wish I had a daughter to justify keeping it! The interior designer in me wants to! Thank you!

Kim, hover your cursor over Sable's username and you will get a drop down box; the envelope is there.

1 person likes this

For houses like this...it seems best to put it on Craigslist. And you have to let go of sentimentality and be prepared for an unsentimental price. It is hard to sell old but loved&finished dollhouses these days unless it is something spectacular and for a steal. But I am sure you will be able to find it a home via craigslist and then you won't have to store it. A lot of sellers offer it furnished, but state they are willing to split up the furniture from the house. Sometimes that helps. Good luck!

1 person likes this

I don't store my houses, I play with them.

2 people like this

I love finding houses like this! They are so much fun to put back together. I love to give them a chance to love a new child. These have so much love in them already. Not like the plastic throw away houses of today.

2 people like this

10 hours ago, KariW said:

I love finding houses like this! They are so much fun to put back together. I love to give them a chance to love a new child. These have so much love in them already. Not like the plastic throw away houses of today.

Couldn't agree more!  :D

2 people like this

Hi Kim, welcome!

1 person likes this

On 12/4/2016, 5:19:45, anchorska said:

.I wish I had a daughter to justify keeping it! The interior designer in me wants to! Thank you!

If you're looking for justification to keep it, could the interior designer in you use it as a model home to experiment with details of décor? And maybe one day you will have a daughter -- or take a shine to someone else's daughter who would cherish this darling house.  If you have the space to store it, I'd recommend holding on to it for a while. You never know.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎19‎:‎45‎, anchorska said:

...I wish I had a daughter to justify keeping it! The interior designer in me wants to! Thank you!

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎18‎:‎00‎, havanaholly said:

I don't store my houses, I play with them.

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

If you're looking for justification to keep it, could the interior designer in you use it as a model home to experiment with details of décor? And maybe one day you will have a daughter -- or take a shine to someone else's daughter who would cherish this darling house.  If you have the space to store it, I'd recommend holding on to it for a while. You never know.