art journals

Anyone else here into art journals?

Since I'm a librarian, and I hate to see books just get dumped in the recycling bin, I try to reimagine them and repurpose them. One thing that I've had alot of fun doing is art journals, and just reusing the books to experiment with different types of media and techniques. Anyone else ever tried one before?

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It's too bad that the archives only hold topics for searching for a year,  because I recall a thread on these a few years back.

Yeah that is too bad. I've really grown to love doing them. I've started doing themed art journals- I have one that is an old gardening encyclopedia and the cover of it was beautiful, and so all the stuff inside is related to flowers and nature.

I recently started one that's an old ocean reference book- once again the cover was too beautiful to let it go to waste, so the inside is all all ocean themed, with lots of mermaids in there.

I never really got into scrapbooking- like with my own photos, but for some reason doing the art journals seems different. I guess it's just a low-key way to exercise creativity, because making dollhouses and mini's can be much more demanding (as we all know!).

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

It's too bad that the archives only hold topics for searching for a year,  because I recall a thread on these a few years back.

Holly, under "more search options" you can put in custom dates and pull up posts from years ago. 

4 hours ago, Sable said:

Holly, under "more search options" you can put in custom dates and pull up posts from years ago. 

Hurrah!  Now if I could just remember when I read a particular topic I'm looking for; I do good to remember key words!