Working electric stops for no reason.

Shoo

On my last cry for help, I was having a problem making the electric items work in tape wire.  Someone named Sable helped me, and even went as far as sending me pictures on email, fantastic help, and I had a lot of successful power.  So now, it is not an entirely new topic, because the problem is still the electric.  The electric works so far along the tapewire, then stops. I had all the electric working up to the second floor, and then it stopped. I had to go all the way back to the lead-in wire connection, on the junction splice at the entry point. I got it working, but only for an inch or two, the power stops dead after that. My probe shows power at the junction splice, and two inches into the house....and that's all.  I would be grateful for any suggestions and advice for this seemingly illogical problem please.  Thank you.  

Hummmm. So let me see if I understand..

Two inches out from the splice and beyond has no power? I'm guessing there are no brads or eyelet connections at that point?  Do you have a loop anywhere? Meaning could you have connected any of the tape wire back onto itself causing a loop?  

It could be the transformer.  Try this. Remove the junction splice from the house. Take a two foot long piece of tapewire and connect it to the splice and transformer and try the tester at the end of the 2 feet. See if the problem still exists. If so, then it is the transformer. 

Some transformers have built in circuit breakers. Unplug and replug it in will reset the breaker.

what is the wattage/amps of your transformer?  How many bulbs are connected?

I'll keep brainstorming.

• Like 1

What kind of house are you tape wiring? If it's a Greenleaf house, remember the walls are fairly thin. If you run a wire up one wall and then run it up the same wall on the other side and put any brads or eyelets in along either tape run, the eyelets or brads will go through the wall and connect to the tape wire on the other side, shorting out your whole run. Sometimes that happens if you tape wire one side of a room and then tape wire another room on the other side of the wall and put a socket in there for your plugs. The socket connects to the tape wire, but it can also go through the wall and connect to the tape wire on the other side as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

What kind of house are you tape wiring? If it's a Greenleaf house, remember the walls are fairly thin. If you run a wire up one wall and then run it up the same wall on the other side and put any brads or eyelets in along either tape run, the eyelets or brads will go through the wall and connect to the tape wire on the other side, shorting out your whole run. Sometimes that happens if you tape wire one side of a room and then tape wire another room on the other side of the wall and put a socket in there for your plugs. The socket connects to the tape wire, but it can also go through the wall and connect to the tape wire on the other side as well.

Very good point!

This has happened to me also. I have found that the junction splice often is not all the way into the wood.  If your house is older and the wood is hard this is especially true.  Try taking it out and starting over by hammering it solidly into the wood. Then use the screw that comes with it and screw it all the way into the wood.  Make sure the prongs are not bent.  Hope this helps. 

3 minutes ago, siggy said:

This has happened to me also. I have found that the junction splice often is not all the way into the wood.  If your house is older and the wood is hard this is especially true.  Try taking it out and starting over by hammering it solidly into the wood. Then use the screw that comes with it and screw it all the way into the wood.  Make sure the prongs are not bent.  Hope this helps. 

The prongs have to have good contact with the copper. Securing it in the wood just prevents it from wiggling.

On 12/13/2016, 3:37:22, siggy said:

Thank you for your suggestion. However, the splice is definitely working because I have about 1½ inches from the splice, into the house which is giving power. Again, I really appreciate your response.  

Edited by Shoo
Incorrect spelling