Lily without the porch

dooder85

Hi all,

Have any of you built or seen a build of the Lily without the porch, i'm trying to picture it in my head as a possible build - the porch is great, but adds to the footprint considerably.  Would it just look too plain without it?

I haven't built the house.

BUT I'm going to chime in anyway - I often think about removing or reducing porches on houses because I'm not into the whole wrap-around thing. That's too much porch for me.

The Lily is tough because the front door isn't symmetrical in the way it lines up, and the house is several stories - smaller mansard roof homes can go without the porch easily. But I agree on not wanting that wrap-around.

What about reducing the size of the porch? - I really like this house:

http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/15/39/768x576/gallery-1443116855-1015-country-listings-vermont.jpg

Here's another reduction in porch: 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/55/58/57/555857084b9e212c68fa4020ba347591.jpg

My lily is about to become kindling.   I haven't finished, but it's giving me fits.  The porch roof doesn't have structure for the rest of the house.  If I remember, you will need to cut it off as its part of the floor for first floor.  I found super thin wood at Michael's that bends super easy for the 3rd floor roof.  Had to get the dormer roof wet to get the right bend.

• 3 years later...

I opened Lily and she no longer wants to become a Tuscan Villa (mumble, mumble); fortunately there are shingles in the box (I got it when I thought I'd have time to join the Team Lily build); I'm still planning on a few of the touches I'd worked out for the villa, especially the kitchen.  Fortunately the couple I'm building it for (1:12) like it better the way it wants to be.

• Like 2