garden instead of roof

shamrockgirl18

My poor little geisha doesn't have a roof over her head! I mean, she has a ceiling, but the exterior of it isn't finished at all because my attempt at re-creating Japanese style roof was laughable.

Today inspiration struck when I thought maybe rather than a plain old roof, maybe she should have a little garden on her roof. I'm having a hard time finding some inspirational photos of Japanese rooftop gardens that aren't ultra-modern trendy ones.

I'm thinking just a little garden with simple flowers, some walkways- maybe a little sitting area?

Anyways if anyone has any ideas or inspiration for me please don't be shy. :)

You could do one of those traditional gardens with the raked sand/gravel and bonsai.. little temple accessories etc... sorry don't know what they are called. I would just google japanese garden, forget about finding a rooftop one, you can always adapt a ground level one you like. :)

18 hours ago, Samusa said:

Haha.. just looked it up, they're called a zen garden..:doh:

Yeah, I was thinking about those too. A long time ago I had a little desktop zen garden that came w/ a miniature rake- wish I knew what happened to it. It would have fit perfectly.

1 hour ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

Yeah, I was thinking about those too. A long time ago I had a little desktop zen garden that came w/ a miniature rake- wish I knew what happened to it. It would have fit perfectly.

They're still available.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

They're still available.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't purchase one though- I'm sure I could find a way to make one. Maybe a small simple photo frame with a little sand in the middle? Obviously it's wouldn't come with the little bamboo tools but maybe I could find one intended for a fairy garden or something.

1 hour ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

Yeah, I probably wouldn't purchase one though- I'm sure I could find a way to make one. Maybe a small simple photo frame with a little sand in the middle? Obviously it's wouldn't come with the little bamboo tools but maybe I could find one intended for a fairy garden or something.

I've seen mini fences, garden rakes & hoes, etc. in with the fairy garden stuff at Jo-Ann's

I'm going to go outside the box here for the roof (you can always have a garden on the side) and consider using origami paper for the roof. Like - decoupage it on and lacquer finish it so it is an homage to japanese lacquered boxes, etc. And origami has some patterns that repeat and are almost tile-like.

il_340x270.592849780_op3v.jpgil_570xN.286191917.jpg

I am liking decoupage more and more for dollhouses.