Fairfield Missing Slot

FoxIvy

Hi all,

I recently received a Fairfield Dollhouse kit. It is the first house I plan to build and was going through the sheets and making sure all the parts matched up with what I got. I seem to be missing a slot though from what the sheets show. I uploaded pictures of them below, and circled the missing slot on the wood. Am I missing something or did I receive a bad sheet?

I recently got ordered a Fairfield Dollhouse kit. It is the first house I plan to build and was going through the sheets and making sure all the parts matched up with what I got. I seem to be missing a slot though from what the sheets show.

pic1.thumb.jpg.a94d3f4c9951e35c3c822b456pic2.thumb.jpg.3f8692a35e1396f57fef74b26

Edited by FoxIvy
Text was on the same line as a picture

You could contact Greenleaf to order a replacement sheet here:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/about-us/greenleaf_dollhouse.html  What I would do is put the shell into dry fit and where the tab on the floor matches where the slot in the wall would be mark the wall in pencil, cut off that tab and trace around the floor on the wall and install crown molding when you get to that part so the floor can rest along the top edge.

Hi Christine - Holly's advice is invaluable! I just did a dry fit for my Fairfield - it's well worth the time (and cost of the tape ha!) to do it. As the piece aren't later cut they can be a tight fit so i ended up needing to cut some of mine. The wood is fairly thin so you can easily cut through it using a craft knife. It might be less effort then contacting Greenleaf and waiting for them to send a new piece. 

Scott, I not only put each of my two Fairfields into dry fit at least three different times, but the one I built inside out got disassembled after gluing twice because of things the dry fit didn't show me.  It's perfectly OK to make mistakes building these kits, so working round a missing slot is just another problem to solve.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sable said:

Don't cut off the tab since it is needed for support.

And yet .. support can be added. The tab would hold the floor from sagging, but that won't happen immediately. If the ceiling cornice below the missing slot is glued securely in place, it will provide the support needed.

You could also cut off the tab and then, from the outside, tap a brad into the edge of the ceiling, thus securing it in place. 

The thing about miniatures is that there is not one way, nor a right or wrong way, to meet challenges. Get creative. :)