A collectors night mare

KariW

So have you ever mentioned how much you love something and all of a sudden you are bombarded with it? Well, it happened to me on Monday. My childhood friend is here in Florida, from Denver,  moving her mom into assisted living. She called me and said her mom has " some dollhouses" would I like them? Of course, I said yes. I would sort it out later. Well. She proceeded to fill my dining room with Tin, plastic, vinyl and cardboard doll houses from the 50's to the late 90's and I don't work with any of it! My entire dining room is filled with houses and boxes and boxes full of house parts. No wood at all. I've been doing some research and I'm sitting on a big profit if I didn't have a day job and had time to research and photograph and sell it all on eBay. I've been looking on line and there don't seem to be any vintage toy dealers in the palm beach county area.  Any guidance would be so appreciated. What a mess my house is right now. Yikes!

• Like 1

What about an online auction house or dealer? Depending on the age of the collection you might find one who is willing to take it all - but, I really don't think you'll get away with not taking any photos to create that interest. 

As far as ebay: long time ago I sold a Barbie collection (and a while after several boxes of books) - I 'created' collections - photographed the items and packed them right after I checked the photos, made the listings, and was able to basically slap a postage label on each box as I sold it. You might want to think about putting in a weekend to do it that way. To keep track, I used numbered post-its when taking pictures, and wrote the same numbers on the boxes. 

Other than that - I still have a few days off - if you could post pictures, I could try and help identify what you need. I am sure some of the researchers here won't mind helping you out either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soapz said:

What about an online auction house or dealer? Depending on the age of the collection you might find one who is willing to take it all - but, I really don't think you'll get away with not taking any photos to create that interest. 

As far as ebay: long time ago I sold a Barbie collection (and a while after several boxes of books) - I 'created' collections - photographed the items and packed them right after I checked the photos, made the listings, and was able to basically slap a postage label on each box as I sold it. You might want to think about putting in a weekend to do it that way. To keep track, I used numbered post-its when taking pictures, and wrote the same numbers on the boxes. 

Other than that - I still have a few days off - if you could post pictures, I could try and help identify what you need. I am sure some of the researchers here won't mind helping you out either.

Oh my gosh, that's so sweet of you. I've been sitting here for hours googling these dollhouses. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but thank you so much. I've been looking for online dealers, but none seem to be in Florida. I decided if I look at the area as a whole, I'll cry, so I'm just taking one house at a time and trying to find them online. Please don't think I'm not appreciative. I am. I'm just deep into my season and I work from my house with clients starting back into my house on Monday. This needs to be cleared out and gone or hidden by then. It's so much work. Maybe I should call all my friends and tell them to come over and start googling. A Google party! Lol

Really, if you're planning to sell on ebay, I wouldn't bother doing any research. List each one starting at $9.99 and let it end where it ends. Put any brands or copyright dates in the title, take lots of pictures, and hope for the best.

I have a book on the old tin litho houses, if you do decide to research.  

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Kari, could you possibly contact Ron Mummert (Ron's Miniatures in Orlando) to see if he or Richard could help you?

That's a really good idea, I was thinking of bringing some with me in February to the miniature show in Orlando. I think there's email info on their website. Good thinking Holly! Thank you! Heading to their site now.

Kari, Karen Barone who was Les Petits Treasurer before you came to our meetings and recent President of NAME owns a Miniature Estate sales company. She sells collections for the estates of deceased collectors. Maybe you can send her pictures and she can sell the items for you. You would just have to ship them out after they sell. Buyer pays for shipping. Let me know if you are interested and I will PM her info to you.

Also, if you want to donate some of it to our club, we can try to sell it at our show in March.

Also, the Davie Fl club is having a miniature garage sale in February. I can ask if you can sell the items there. Problem is its on a Saturday and I know you work that day.

8 hours ago, Sable said:

Kari, Karen Barone who was Les Petits Treasurer before you came to our meetings and recent President of NAME owns a Miniature Estate sales company. She sells collections for the estates of deceased collectors. Maybe you can send her pictures and she can sell the items for you. You would just have to ship them out after they sell. Buyer pays for shipping. Let me know if you are interested and I will PM her info to you.

Also, if you want to donate some of it to our club, we can try to sell it at our show in March.

Also, the Davie Fl club is having a miniature garage sale in February. I can ask if you can sell the items there. Problem is its on a Saturday and I know you work that day.

Hi Denise!! Yes! Oh my goodness you have given me so much to think about! I can try to take a Saturday off! Lol If you saw my house right now! It's literally piled up in two rooms! I just can't. I've been doing internet searches, but some of it doesn't seem to have ever existed. Did you know that cabbage patch kids had a house? Well, neither does the Internet, but I have one. Lol

4 hours ago, KariW said:

Hi Denise!! Yes! Oh my goodness you have given me so much to think about! I can try to take a Saturday off! Lol If you saw my house right now! It's literally piled up in two rooms! I just can't. I've been doing internet searches, but some of it doesn't seem to have ever existed. Did you know that cabbage patch kids had a house? Well, neither does the Internet, but I have one. Lol

Well, I spoke too soon about the garage sale. It is for a private estate. Sorry. I'm going to pm you Karen Barrone's info.

On December 30, 2016 at 1:24:59 PM, Sable said:

Well, I spoke too soon about the garage sale. It is for a private estate. Sorry. I'm going to pm you Karen Barrone's info.

Kari, I just sent you an Email. Two club members are interested in your houses. Please email me your phone number. Thanks