Dollhouse Siding Paint: Oil or Water Base Paint?

Phoenix71

Hi everyone, Hope all enjoyed their holiday and having some time to work on minis!

I'm working on a Duracraft Heritage. The directions recommend using a good oil based paint on the siding.

Which led me to ponder as most paints in my garage are not oil based...
Do they recommend oil based paint because other paints would cause swelling, like water based glue may be noted to do?

I'm interested in the general consensus of the subject matter experts in this forum.

To oil base paint or not? Doth it matter? Or are there no issues painting with acrylic, craft or other types of paint?
I ask because I have many Sherwin Williams cans of left over paint and they are not oil based.

Thank you and Happy New Year! Christie

I personally use interior latex house paint, primarily for the soap & water clean up.  There's not the risks associated with using oil based paints.  I haven't noticed problems with warping, since I paint or stain or at least seal both  sides of the wood pieces and let each side dry flat.

I wonder if that is why a members house started cracking after she painted it. I'm going to see if I can find her post. Darn...can't remember her name. She was from Dallas, I think.

Edit: it was Cheverly, but I can find her post.

Thank you, everyone, for the pointers on priming and interior paints. This will be my second build - now that I know the time it takes to build a house, I want to cool my jets, so to speak, and plan this time around. It wasn't fun to paint the Newberg after the fact and tape around all of that trim!

I'm so thankful for this forum and the help everyone so willingly provides. Thank you!