When to install windows?! -The Jefferson dollhouse 1:24 scale

Amber Celeste

I am just finishing painting/making templates for the walls, ceilings, and floors of my house.  I have read the directions several times but it's still not clear to me at what point it would make sense to put the window frames in.  I am thinking it would be easiest to paint and install them before I begin construction since the interior rooms are so tiny but, I am planning on adding siding to the exterior so I'm not sure if that is right either?!  Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

I think windows pretty much should be one of the last things you install, or at least leave the trims off until last. You want the trim to go over any siding on the exterior and any wallpaper on the interior.

I lay the trims atop the window openings and trace around them and mask off the area where I will glue the trims on.  If I'm applying siding I butt the siding up to the trace line.  I always wait until after both interior and exterior decorating is done on the walls before installing windows and doors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samusa said:

I think windows pretty much should be one of the last things you install, or at least leave the trims off until last. You want the trim to go over any siding on the exterior and any wallpaper on the interior.

Okay, that makes sense.  I don't know why it was puzzling me so much!  I think I'm just afraid to proceed in the wrong order and create a disaster for myself!! ;)  Thank you, Samantha!!!!

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I lay the trims atop the window openings and trace around them and mask off the area where I will glue the trims on.  If I'm applying siding I butt the siding up to the trace line.  I always wait until after both interior and exterior decorating is done on the walls before installing windows and doors.

That is smart, I unfortunately did not even think to mask around where the windows will sit!  I was careful to keep paint out of the slots and where pieces join together but I didn't even think about the windows.  Oh well, I will know better on my next house! :)  Thank you, Holly!!  I will start putting the house together now and save the windows and trim for last!

I applied the window frames after finishing the wallpapper and exterior siding. I glued the interior frames first and made sure there was no bits of wallpapper coming out of the gaps, then retouced and painted the surface between inner wall and window. Later I glued the 'glass' to the exterior frame and made sure they lined up with the opening. If paint from the exterior wall was showing through I covered that area it and let it dry before gluing the window. You can use the glass on the interior/exterior however you want, just glue the part with the glass later. This can be done at any point during the construction but is usually better to leave for the last stages to avoid getting dust and such on the 'glass', if you need to clean them after they are glued in place I recomend gently rubbing them with a cotton swab.

Masking tape is a great tool that I'm sure will come in handy many times ;) Have fun!

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2017, 1:41:18, havanaholly said:

I've read that people do it both ways. I was going to do windows first, but I like your tracing method much more! Thank you! 

When wanting to replace the windows with "fancier" windows, do people cut the wall of the dollhouse to make the windows fit? I mean, I'm sure they do, but is it common? Also, if I wanted to normal windows that come with the kit can I buy those separately, in case I want the sizes they made? In case you're wondering why I'm asking all of this: I've recently purchased a poorly taken care of Garfield and have completely gutted it. Trying to determine windows first, so I can get started on siding and interior wallpaper. 

Thank you for all your advice. I've read several of your responses on here and you have been helping and guiding me!!! Thank you!

If you go with component windows, lay them over the openings (like I do for trims and if they're larger, trace around them and cut away the wood to make them fit; and if the openings are larger, invest in some strip wood to build up the opening until it fits the component window.  Since the windows that come with the kit have the parts of their frames and trims included in the plywood sheets along with other parts of the whole house it might be simpler just to order the acetate insert sheet from Greenleaf and invest in mini millwork (or use your strip wood) and make replacement frames.  I used acetate from around the house (packaging, mostly) and mini millwork from Hobby Lobby or Michael's and basswood sheets to make new windows and doors for that poor, pitiful Laurel;  When I finally got around to building the Washington 2.0 I just went ahead and made all new working (pin-hinged) windows and doors.  Admittedly my Miter Master makes it a much easier job!

IMHO the main purpose for this forum is so we can help each other build & make minis.