Half-Scale Merrimack

Debsrand56

I have my Merrimack kit!  There is still work to be done on the Fairfield (foundation, roof, a gazillion accessories), but I could not resist poking at the new house and did a dry fit last week.

Since I haven’t been able to find much on this forum on the Merrimack, I will try to document the build as carefully as I can, in case the information is useful to others down the line. Here is a picture of the house as designed (although keep in mind I am building the half-scale, so its dimensions will be half what is shown here):  http://s7.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/50381EE8.jpg 

I have started an album and will add to it as I go.  I intend to build it fairly close to the original plans (I’m not much of a basher).  The instructions call for nailing some of the pieces, which is a first for me.  I got both the house itself and the finishing kit that provides the custom windows, doors, siding, etc.  The Web site says “siding not included,” but the cedar strips used on the exterior are definitely there.  I was astonished that it even included a faux-stone-making kit for the exterior stone!  The three sets of exterior doors are included, but no interior doors.  It also includes wood strips for the floors, but, oddly, not the wood for making the exterior steps that are obviously needed.  I think I can handle that on my own, though.  It’s also designed to have a circular staircase from the first to the second floor.  There’s not much out there in ready-to-use or kit form, and I didn’t trust that I would be able to do a good job on my own, so during the Cyber Monday sale at Shapeways, I bought a 1:24 circular stair that I think will work well.

The materials are good quality—some plywood, most composition board.  All the little windows are beautifully made; the “glass” is covered with paper for now and can be slid out for painting.  The exterior doors appear to be Houseworks French doors without grids.

My grandparents owned a beautiful ranch home they built in 1955, based on a Frank Lloyd Wright house they had seen, and decorated by a professional decorator, and I also hope to incorporate some elements from their home when decorating the Merrimack.

• Like 2

The Merrimack is one of my favorite houses... surprisingly, we don't sell a bunch of them. I put a bug in my bosses ear about making a scaled down version without the bottom floor and room furthest from the fireplace. Looking around, there aren't a lot of modern dollhouses available, so having one at a smaller size and cost would be amazing. 

On 1/4/2017, 6:40:47, Debsrand56 said:

It’s also designed to have a circular staircase from the first to the second floor.  There’s not much out there in ready-to-use or kit form, and I didn’t trust that I would be able to do a good job on my own, so during the Cyber Monday sale at Shapeways, I bought a 1:24 circular stair that I think will work well.

I'm really glad you've found shapeways- 1/2 scale furnishings are hard enough to find in traditional styles much less modern. 

On 1/4/2017, 6:40:47, Debsrand56 said:

I got both the house itself and the finishing kit that provides the custom windows, doors, siding, etc.  The Web site says “siding not included,” but the cedar strips used on the exterior are definitely there.  I was astonished that it even included a faux-stone-making kit for the exterior stone!  The three sets of exterior doors are included, but no interior doors.  It also includes wood strips for the floors, but, oddly, not the wood for making the exterior steps that are obviously needed. 

I'm looking at the finishing kit now on our website and it actually lists the siding as something you get in the kit and then at the bottom that it isn't included! whoops, we will definatly fix that

You received flooring? like interior flooring? Now that is something you shouldn't have got in the kit... are you sure they aren't edge trims? 

I'm really glad you are enjoying making the Merrimack! I can't wait to see your progress! :)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ashlie said:

You received flooring? like interior flooring? Now that is something you shouldn't have got in the kit... are you sure they aren't edge trims?

Ah!  The wood was bundled together with a note wrapped around it.  All I saw was "floors and walls."   Now that I've completely unwrapped the note, it says, "Trim out the roof line ends of floors and walls."  Makes more sense .:)  The wood seemed a little thick to be used for flooring. 

59 minutes ago, Ashlie said:

I'm really glad you are enjoying making the Merrimack! I can't wait to see your progress! :)

I can barely wait to start.  I really need to finish shingling the Fairfield first, but I've already started collecting things to go in it, picking out wallpaper, etc.  It's such a great house, and from the dry fit, it should go together really well.  I'm very impressed with how clear the instructions are and how beautifully cut the pieces are.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Ah!  The wood was bundled together with a note wrapped around it.  All I saw was "floors and walls."   Now that I've completely unwrapped the note, it says, "Trim out the roof line ends of floors and walls."  Makes more sense .:)  The wood seemed a little thick to be used for flooring. 

Aha! Mystery solved! I can't wait to see more photos of your progress. 

11 hours ago, havanaholly said:

That's Tom's legacy.

I owe that man a lot! 

• 1 month later...

Over President’s Day weekend, I finally got to start the half-scale Merrimack.  I have to say, it is a dream to work on.  The pieces are so sturdy and well cut that I was doing a second dry fit of the parts I was going to assemble without tape.  They just butted up against each other perfectly and stayed in position.  The only drawback (and it is a very small one) is that the wood is so thick that my magnetic right-angle clamps don’t work on it.  I’ll survive.  :)

I have gotten up to the point where I am supposed to add the second floor, and I now have to decide if I’m going to electrify this one.  I did with the bungalow; didn’t with the Fairifield.  The instructions say to add wiring after completing the structure, but I think it will work better to run my tape up to the second story before adding the floor.  Am trying to work out a wiring plan that takes into account the vestibule.  I may have to run my tape across the floor to get to the living room, which should be OK, as I am cutting a template for the floors anyway. 

The pictures can be found here:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7884