Template questions

stickyfingers

So, the Formerly Known as the Yellow House is about ready for decorating! The house is made of foam core, so I can't use paint directly on the interior surfaces, and will be making templates for ceilings and walls. I found a paintable paper canvas that I will be using for painted surfaces, applied to templates like wallpaper. I have many questions...

What's the best material for templates? Poster board? For repairs, I've been using a 6-ply heavy weight poster board that I found at Hobby Lobby. It is heavy, but wondering if regular poster board will work?

I was planning to use double-sided tape to attach the templates. I have used the carpet tape in the past, but found it a bit thick. Maybe scrapbooking tape? Permanent tack or temporary?

How to finish the corners? Fold the wallpaper over to the back side, or cut it flush with the edge of the poster board? 

I STILL haven't made final decisions about the walls. Some days I think wallpaper in a few rooms (all shades of blue), other days, I'm drawn to the aesthetic of an all-white interior. I keep looking at the website Bread and Olives, and the interiors are just so soft and soothing and lovely-mostly all shades of white with warm woods. Décor like that seems to highlight the furniture and architecture, and I could just stare at those rooms for days. A compromise would be very neutral wallpaper, but...I don't know. The house doesn't have a permanent place to display yet, so that's another reason I'm trying to keep it as neutral as possible. The plan is to get ceilings and floors in, then stare at it some more and see what it needs.    

Why not fold the paper around the templates for one room & see how it looks?  I definitely think that would look lovely at the open edges of the rooms.  As for what the décor will look like, let the house tell you.  I think the weight of whatever you use for wall covering would determine the weight of whatever you use for the templates.

I've used both cardstock and wood for templates. If the walls are light a thick cardstock template holds up pretty well, but if they are heavy on details (wainscoting, mouldings, etc) a sturdier template might be necessary. For the latter I use thin plywood sheets (under 1 mm thick, the same kind used for model airplanes and ships), but this method has it's downsides as well... the price of the sheets can be a bit expensive and they need to be firmly attached or they'll try to warp a bit with temperature shifts. I'd recomend wood only if your walls/ceilings/floors will be really heavy on glued in details and you want to keep them intact when removing. 

For attaching them I've tried 2 kinds of double sided tape that have been working for me: one thin with a strong grip (I think it's the carpet/floor repair kind), a slightly thicker transparent one by Tesa that is rubbery and very flexible, and those small squares with a thin foam layer in the middle. The thin tape occasionally gives me problems, when the temperature rises sometimes it looses grip on the wood surface. I didn't have those issues with the thicker ones, or maybe it's the adhesive that isn't very good quality. The foamy squares seam to hold on to anything pretty well but they are thicker and a bit annoying to remove.

On the corners I have made the back wall template longer and cut the side walls flush, so that when they slide in there are no visible gaps. The trims and mouldings are cut to fit together and help the templates stay in place. Here's an example from my bathroom (1:24 scale): ceiling, walls and floor are all templates, the walls have both wallpapper and tiles attached; the interior frame of the window is attached to the template as well. I've placed the templates in this order: 1 ceiling, 2 back wall, 3 2xside walls, 4 floor. 

fairfield_bathroomtiles.JPG

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, wormwoodz said:

I've used both cardstock and wood for templates. If the walls are light a thick cardstock template holds up pretty well, but if they are heavy on details (wainscoting, mouldings, etc) a sturdier template might be necessary. For the latter I use thin plywood sheets (under 1 mm thick, the same kind used for model airplanes and ships), but this method has it's downsides as well... the price of the sheets can be a bit expensive and they need to be firmly attached or they'll try to warp a bit with temperature shifts. I'd recomend wood only if your walls/ceilings/floors will be really heavy on glued in details and you want to keep them intact when removing. 

For attaching them I've tried 2 kinds of double sided tape that have been working for me: one thin with a strong grip (I think it's the carpet/floor repair kind), a slightly thicker transparent one by Tesa that is rubbery and very flexible, and those small squares with a thin foam layer in the middle. The thin tape occasionally gives me problems, when the temperature rises sometimes it looses grip on the wood surface. I didn't have those issues with the thicker ones, or maybe it's the adhesive that isn't very good quality. The foamy squares seam to hold on to anything pretty well but they are thicker and a bit annoying to remove.

On the corners I have made the back wall template longer and cut the side walls flush, so that when they slide in there are no visible gaps. The trims and mouldings are cut to fit together and help the templates stay in place. Here's an example from my bathroom (1:24 scale): ceiling, walls and floor are all templates, the walls have both wallpapper and tiles attached; the interior frame of the window is attached to the template as well. I've placed the templates in this order: 1 ceiling, 2 back wall, 3 2xside walls, 4 floor. 

fairfield_bathroomtiles.JPG

I love that room!!!!

• Like 1